dust collector for Grizzly 15" spiral cutterhead planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
I just bought the Grizzly planer and thought that the Delta 760 Dust collector (1.5 hp) would be enough if I only used it on one machine at a time with blast gates closed to other machines not in use. That seems to work fairly well with my jointer and table saw but it doesn't seem to be working great with the planer. Is this likely to be my setup or is the dust collector just not powerful enough. If I make very very light passes it seems to be fine but if I get aggressive at all there are a lot of shavings on top of the board when it comes out of the planer. This creates other problems.

anyone make their 1 1/2 HP collector work with this planer?
thanks,
Tim

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Tim, In looking at the manual for the Grizzly 453Z (Is this your machine?), it is noted on page 41 to set the clearance between the chip deflector and cutters @ 1/4". The manual for my 15" Grizzly (4 years old) w/Byrd shelix cutterhead calls for a clearance of 1/4" w/o dust collection and 1/16" w/dust collection. The purpose of the chip deflector is to keep chips off the out feed roller, therefore off the board you are planing. This may not help, but it is a quick adjustment.

Grizzly recommends 400CFM for dust collection. They also state not to confuse this with the CFM rating of a dust collector. The 1.5 HP Delta is rated @ 1200 CFM. This rating is probably from a free flowing fan. In reality, once you factor in bags, friction in ducting, etc., it is probably in the 5-600 CFM range. Dust collector ratings are about as crazy as horse power ratings.

thsb

New User
Tim
i haven't adjusted that part of the planer. Will try it tonight. thanks for the heads up. And yes, it is the 453Z.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the same setup - planer and dust collector. I added a Wynn Canister filter to the dust collector and it is now more efficient and quieter. Seems to suck more.

Anyway I opened up the top of the planer and sure enough the chip deflector was exactly 1/4" off the cutters. I adjusted it to between a 16th and 8th and closed everything back up. It did make a good bit of difference. I still get some chips on the top of the board (especially on the first cut with the board really rough) but not near as much.

Thanks for the tip.

- Ken.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that collector will be fine however the first thing to do if you will be using it on a planer is remove the metal cross in the intake. Planers make shavings [or at least they should] and those shavings will clog the intake and reduce suction.

DWSmith

New User
David
The chips from the spiral head are much smaller than those from a planer with stright knives so the cross will not present a problem.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
that collector will be fine however the first thing to do if you will be using it on a planer is remove the metal cross in the intake. Planers make shavings [or at least they should] and those shavings will clog the intake and reduce suction.

The surface area of these guards vs. the diameter of the opening on my DC was significant...that little mod adds pure CFM, not just eliminates clogging.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Tim, In looking at the manual for the Grizzly 453Z (Is this your machine?), it is noted on page 41 to set the clearance between the chip deflector and cutters @ 1/4". The manual for my 15" Grizzly (4 years old) w/Byrd shelix cutterhead calls for a clearance of 1/4" w/o dust collection and 1/16" w/dust collection. The purpose of the chip deflector is to keep chips off the out feed roller, therefore off the board you are planing. This may not help, but it is a quick adjustment.

Grizzly recommends 400CFM for dust collection. They also state not to confuse this with the CFM rating of a dust collector. The 1.5 HP Delta is rated @ 1200 CFM. This rating is probably from a free flowing fan. In reality, once you factor in bags, friction in ducting, etc., it is probably in the 5-600 CFM range. Dust collector ratings are about as crazy as horse power ratings.

Thanks for this tip Charlie. I'll have to check and adjust the chip deflector later this morning. :thumbs_up

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I have a drum with a Thien Baffle that collects almost all of the chips so nothing but air and some fines are getting to the DC itself. Hated emptying that bag, the drum is much easier to unload.

- Ken.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a drum with a Thien Baffle that collects almost all of the chips so nothing but air and some fines are getting to the DC itself. Hated emptying that bag, the drum is much easier to unload.

- Ken.

Yep. I do too and rarely have to empty the bag. If the shop is piped this is a great solution. If you are moving from machine to machine it's just one more thing to move.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep. I do too and rarely have to empty the bag. If the shop is piped this is a great solution. If you are moving from machine to machine it's just one more thing to move.

About half of the machines are piped and the other half I move a hose from portable machine to portable machine. But I don't have to move the DC as the hose reaches anywhere in the shop from the DC in the back corner. I use this Rockler System. Works great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21316&site=ROCKLER

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS