Dust Collector Advice Needed

N2GODswork

New User
CP
Howdy!

I am a new member here, and am flummoxed by a recent attempt to upgrade my Dust Collection system, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a totally disabled veteran and have converted a 40’ HC shipping container into my workshop. I started out with a ShopFox 1HP DC (W1727) purchased through Amazon Warehouse for like 60% off, but realized I needed a stronger DC after purchasing a WEN 12-inch 5-speed lathe (LA3424).

My first attempted upgrade was another ShopFox, having enjoyed the first one and not having any problems with it. The motor on the 2HP ShopFox W1666 began smoking the first time I attempted to use it, so I returned it to Amazon Warehouse. Then I bought an Oasis Machinery DC5000 5HP beast, which ran for two weeks and then quit. It won’t even turn on anymore, and the vendor through Amazon wants me to pay the return shipping.

Did I just get two duds? Should I contact Oasis to have them send a replacement motor? Should I contact the vendor and respectfully request that they cover the shipping before the 30-day return window through Amazon expires? What DC should I replace it with if I send it back (I’m trying to get the best DC I can through Amazon with a price point of $750 or less)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome CP, and thank you for your service!

As for using the DC with a lathe, I think your expectations may be set a bit high. If you are expecting to collect all chips while turning, it's not going to happen. I use my DC when sanding on the lathe, which captures maybe 90-95% of the dust.

a 5HP motor will require 220V. If you ran this on 110V, you burnt up the motor and the seller will not honor that.

ssmith

New User
Scott
+1 on "thanks for your service" and agree the most likely cause is attempting to run these 220V collectors on 110V.

Both the W1666 and DC5000 require 220V. The W1666 apparently doesn't come with a plug, so it would be fairly easy to wire a 115V plug to it and use the wrong voltage. What's odd is the DC5000 requires 220V / 30A and should have immediately tripped any common 110V circuit breaker (typically 20A max).

Do you know for sure what type of circuit you connected these to (voltage and current rating?). We may be able to help you further, but will need that information to be sure.

N2GODswork

New User
CP
I rewired the first ShopFox (W1767) to 220V, and it works fine.

I had both upgrades on 220V - the W1666 on 220V 15A, and the DC5000 was on 220V 25A and neither tripped the breaker. They’re all on a sub panel that is on a 50A GFCI/AFCI, and that didn’t trip either.

N2GODswork

New User
CP

I had both upgrades on 220V - the W1666 on 220V 15A, and the DC5000 was on 220V 25A and neither tripped the breaker. They’re all on a sub panel that is on a 50A GFCI/AFCI, and that didn’t trip either.
And the GFCI/AFCI does work as I’ve accidentally tripped it a couple of times.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just to be clear, Dust and chips are two different issues. Chips make a mess and you sweep them up. Dust kills you so you want it "collected"
I have the 5 HP Clear View and think it is about the tops. The Oneida is also a quality product. These are large cyclones with HEPA canisters. 5 HP will be 220 0nly. 3 HP may be either, but the the start up is brutal on a 110 line. AFCI circuits trip occasionally buy them selves. I am not sure if they are rated for inductive motors.

ssmith

New User
Scott

At this point, I'd suggest getting a voltmeter and confirm you're actually getting 220V at the outlet(s).

If you are and everything is wired correctly, the motor(s) must be defective unless something really off-the-wall is going on. Perhaps others will weigh in with other possibilities.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Where are you located? I have a voltage tester and would be willing to test your circuit if you are close. Others here can help if we know where.

N2GODswork

New User
CP
At this point, I'd suggest getting a voltmeter and confirm you're actually getting 220V at the outlet(s).

If you are and everything is wired correctly, the motor(s) must be defective unless something really off-the-wall is going on. Perhaps others will weigh in with other possibilities.
It was registering at 223V when I checked it after the Oasis decided to die.

N2GODswork

New User
CP

Thanks, Scott.
FYI: I just used the old W1767 on 220V, and it still runs great.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS