Dust collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
I have a small shop/shed. 12x16. It is not heated or air conditioned at this time. I have a small jet 650 dust collector that I use, but was thinking about adding a new filtration system like the jet or rikon. Then I remembered when visiting Charlie 's shop how he had his dust blown out the back of his shop. Would it more more advantage to have an air filtration unit or have a dust collector pulling air from the shop and blowing it out back with the idea of removing the dust. My thinking is more the sanding dust and finer dust and not table saw ships and lathe turnings. Like I mentioned it is a 12x16 with 8 ft side walls and an A frame roof.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Chris

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris,
had you considered something as simple as a box fan drawing the air outside through a window or new dedicated opening?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You might want to visit Bill Pentz website. He has done testing to determine the air quality benefits of filters and different types of DC. He recommends 800 CFM at our tools which requires something on the order of a 3hp cyclone system. If you can't do that (I can't) his second best is a cyclone based system venting outside. That is in my plans for my new shop. I plan to add the Oneida Super Dust Deputy to my little 1hp DC.

I had a box fan with a filter on it in my last shop and it helped. I upgraded the filters on the DC in my last shop and it helped. But I still got entirely too much fine dust in the shop. It didn't leave until I did (I cleaned it up when I sold the house). Bill argues that you have to attack the fine dust at the source and either filter it effectively if you are discharging back into the shop or send what you haven't filtered outside if you can't filter it effectively. Without a big DC driving a big cyclone, even with fine filters we will put too much fine dust back into the shop air to meet air quality standards. I don't agree with everything Bill says but I think his general approach is based upon his research and is sound. He criticizes all cyclones except his clear view brand, for instance, and I've seen other reports plus my direct experience with a super dust deputy tell me Oneida cyclones are pretty good, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors