dust collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Being a newbie, I recently read the post about table saw overhead dust collection. It went on for awhile. However, couldn’t find the final results. I liked the truck mudflap skirt (?). I have tried wallpaper paste brushes, paint brushes, and all sorts of drapes and had no real luck collecting the dust cloud. Many thanks for that suggestion. I’m planning a trip to Agri Supply to get a set.

A couple of excellent sites on dust collection are:
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/
Before embarking on the dust collection journey, be sure to read Bill Penz’s excellent dissertations, then check out ClearVue cyclones made in SC.
ClearVue_cyclone.jpg

View image in gallery

However, maybe my overhead suspension system may be of interest. And as always, all suggestions for improvement will be appreciated.

The hanging support is an old bed frame. I cut off the headboard attachment and used it for the swiveling mount. DeStaCo clamps hold the hanging support in the vertical position. If I need more clearance above the blade, I unclamp and swing it to the right side and hook it to the chain shown in the photo.

The vertical adjuster is a piece of 4” schedule 40 ABS pipe that clamps the metal duct. It’s cut on the diameter into two pieces. A small hinge connects them back together. On the opposite side, two aluminum angles provides clamping surface for another DeStaCo clamp.

A final suggestion is to use 6" for the ductwork. I've used 4" and it was too restrictive. See Bill Penz discussion on his site,
Warren

M

McRabbet

Looks like you are headed in the right direction. There are a number of members here that have developed tablesaw pickups -- take a look at the Workshop forum and search back to threads by Sully and Alan in Little Washington. Sully did a cantilever design and Alan has three threads you'll want to look at starting with his auto blast gate prototypes, then his update on them and finally, his "More Dust Collection" thread which features his final tablesaw pickup. By the way, Alan has a shop-built cyclone using Bill Pentz' design and many of us have ClearVue cyclones like yours (I have a CV1800). Alan, Touchwood and I have dabbled in Bin full sensors as well. Below is my latest circuit design based on Alan's initial concept.

Hope this is useful information.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Welcome Warren,

I am one of those who posted about the over-blade dust pickup. My broom bristle first prototype works ok, but the bristles are too thick and stiff, and I suspect real mud flaps will be allot worse, and occasionally get chewed by the blade. None of the RV and truck bristly flaps I looked at were satisfactory. I have since purchased, but haven't gotten around to install, a finer bristle skirt. This one is made from 6" x .014" conveyor brush (search for "brush strip") from McMaster-Carr. I bought the aluminum mounting channel for it also. In addition to changing the skirt bristles I plan to angle (splay) them out a little to keep the bristles from getting chewed by the blade. Who knows when I will get around to this - so many projects, so little time.

Three Suggestions- (1) whatever over-blade DC pickup tube attachment method you use, make sure it is not only adjustable in height and position to the blade, but it is either easily removable or can be completely swung out of the way. I had a large object to cut on my table saw recently and my over-blade pickup was harder to move out of the way than I would have liked. (2) I strongly recommend a three point attachment - it is extremely solid and resists motion in all directions. You don't want your pickup to strike the blade. (3) Make sure if you do try a hula skirt pickup shroud, that you make ithe housing so it extends forward of the blade and has a transparent top so you can see the leading edge of the blade.

Here is a link to the gallery photos of my first (current) prototype.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I found this site searching for dust level sensors. And, like all engineers, I had to made some modifications due to available items in my "Misc. Stuff" supply. I had a different light sensor and an old fashion door bell + a red bulb. When full, the bulb lights and the bell rings.
My overhead collector is clear lexan and when the mount is unclamped, the assembly swivels parallet to the saw. All I need now is the skirting,Thanks for the McMaster Carr tip. :icon_cheers
Warren

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I found this site searching for dust level sensors. And, like all engineers, I had to make some modifications due to available items in my "Misc. Stuff" supply. I had a different light sensor and an old fashion door bell + a red bulb. When full, the bulb lights and the bell rings.
My overhead collector is clear lexan and when the mount is unclamped, the assembly swivels parallel to the saw. All I need now is the skirting,Thanks for the McMaster Carr tip. :icon_cheers
Warren

No problem. I had considered an audible alarm for my old and new (see new thread) systems, but realized I would likely never hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS