Dust Collection question

bbrown

Bill
User
Hello folks,
Quick question:
I just moved my cyclone dust collector to a space below the shop to help eliminate the awful noise. Unfortunately, the space is about 6 inches too short for me to fit a large metal can to collect the chips. So, I had to use a much smaller 25” tall can.
My question is: can you use a horizontal bin (of some sort) instead of a vertically placed bin (which is all I ever see with a Google search). In other words, can the collector bin be long in the horizontal direction where there is much more space, vs. the vertical can which greatly limits my cubic inches – I’d have to empty the can much more often and risk clogging the system if it overflows.
I am wondering if the physics of the system means that the bin has to be vertical, but not sure.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
-Bill
-- Traditional Woodworking & Carving classes at my shop in Coastal Maine: http://www.MaineCoastWorkshop.com

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Taller the better as the chips just fall into a pile. I have a short can too and a nuisance. I think one could make it a little larger diameter, or if one put a vibrator under it it could level out more.

I am thinking about boxing above my DC for motor space so I can do a larger can. Only maters when I am jointing or planeing. Saws just don't fill that fast.

I have ordered parts to make a 2-stage level monitor. One proximity to give warning and one in the flex hose to shut off.

I guess one could build a larger box and put an auger in it. Think pellet stove.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
According to a couple of design analysis I used, the collection bin height should have minimal impact on the performance characteristics (flow, pressure drop, etc). The much simpler one is attached for reference. So a longer shorter collection bin should be fine. As pointed out, a short can will fill faster unless an auger or something moves the pile away from the exit port.

Attachments

• Cyclone Design Analysis.pdf
    454.5 KB · Views: 325

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My collection box is pretty tall, probably 4 feet, and about 18 inches square. I made it, mostly of 5mm luan plywood. My point is just that you do not have to use a drum or can, you can make your own box to fit the space.

I do not filter, other than the cyclone, so the penalty for letting the box overflow is dust and chips go into the bushes outside. Has only happened once so far.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My collection box is pretty tall, probably 4 feet, and about 18 inches square. I made it, mostly of 5mm luan plywood. My point is just that you do not have to use a drum or can, you can make your own box to fit the space.

I do not filter, other than the cyclone, so the penalty for letting the box overflow is dust and chips go into the bushes outside. Has only happened once so far.
I was thinking about that even though a 5 HP moves a lot of air, in the overall HVAC it is not that much for the little time the unit is on. Might make too much noise though as sometimes I am in my shop in off hours and don't want to disturb anyone.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS