Dust Collection on planer, not working well

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I made a new chip deflector and set it up per the manual. It is a little better, but still dumping a lot of chips on top of the board and table.

I'll work on new and larger DC piping over the next 2-3 weeks and will see if that helps any.

Any other thoughts till then?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I wouldn't call it a heavy pass. One full turn on the wheel/handle. I do think I ran a couple 1/2 turns but didn't really notice any difference. I can experiment with that and see.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I think the DC on those machines are pretty good, at least mine is.

I think your issue is inadequate CFMs at the machine.

What is your ducting set up and how far away is the DC?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I think the DC on those machines are pretty good, at least mine is.

I think your issue is inadequate CFMs at the machine.

What is your ducting set up and how far away is the DC?
The DC has a 6" port with a Y to two 4" ports. One is capped, the other has 4" hose less than 10' running direct to the planer.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sounds adequate to me. The only time I ever have shavings not collected is if the hood is obstructed.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I only have a single stage 1 1/2 HP dust collector, so I located my 16" jointer/planer machine closest to the collector. From what I have read, it helps to locate the biggest dust/chip producer closest to the dust collector. The shorter the piping the better.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
With a single stage, the cleanliness of the filter is a possibly significant factor in airflow. If you have not cleaned it regularly, you should probably try that. I put a super dust deputy on my "2hp" HF and have it exhausting outside so it will not degrade. I was a little surprised to measure only about 500 CFM at the end of a short length of 5 inch pipe and about 400 CFM inside my SS where it is necked down to 4 inch. HF is not at all top of the line but the airflow of your system may be similar - although 6 inch piping should help a little. But if your filter is dirty, you could have even less airflow than my HF.

While my measured (by a cheap meter of unknown accuracy) is unimpressive, the dust collection on my SS is by my estimate good. On cuts where the blade is inside the workpiece, nearly nothing escapes and when cutting the edge of the workpiece so the blade is exposed, it is a lot less than when I was using a shop vac.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS