Dust collection on a radial arm saw

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have an older Delta contractor's RAS. There is a dust spout sticking up on the guard. My experiments tend to show the saw dust exiting the cut and shooting straight back. 1st question: Anyone out there have a delta RAS? 2nd question does the DC spout on the guard work? I planning to build a DC system and my 2 biggest problems are my RAS & miter saws.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I don't have any experience personally, but this video from Frank Howarth goes into detail on what he did for dust collection on his two RAS's. He has them side by side and used a single fence to connect them with dust collection. Seems to work very well. He made a lot of it using his CNC, but it wouldn't be required to build one similar.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Below is the setup I have for my RAS. The box opening is directly in line w/ the saw kerf. It is surprising efficient. As you have already noted, most of the dust ejects behind the blade, not from the port on the blade cover.

IMG_2790.JPG

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have a DeWalt GA and the owner's manual shows how the manufacturer suggests collecting dust from the saw. You would build a large enclosure behind the saw and shovel it out as it filled up. Of course, this is before dust collection was common.

Roy G

JohnW

New User
John
Pop, I built a prototype dust collector for my RAS and it worked so well I just left it in place and never prettied it up. I try and remember to take a photo and post tomorrow. You are welcome to stop by and check it out. I'm in Charlotte off of N Sardis Rd.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
The original owner of Clearvue Cyclones made a dust collection "window" behind his RAS that has a narrow slot at the back of the table slanted away from the saw. The window is in a box connected to the dust collector (in his case a powerful CV-1800 Clearvue Cyclone) and is shown in the last video on this page on the Clearvue Cyclones website. The video was made nearly 10 years ago and I recommend you click on the YouTube link at the bottom right to view it on YouTube. At the end of the Ed Morgano video, allow the next video come on for another design by Patrick's Workshop. His design is quite different as he creates a box made of Melanine that acts like a zero clearance chamber behind the fence to catch the stream of dust off the blade. A third one follows for a DeWalt RAS which looks well designed. Here it is. The last one is by Frank Howarth (who has marvelous videos) on his approach for his Radial Arm Saw's dust collection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS