Dust collection and the Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
I know there are many of us out there that cringe when we think of routing something just for the fact of the dust and shavings thrown by the router, I HATE SWEEPING.
SO, While I was setting up my router for some Drawer dovetail work I thought I'd show some of you a little jig I use for catching all the shavings.
Made from Lexan and formed to attach a 2 1/4" shop vac hose to it serves the purpose very well. I have several different Dovetail machines and haven't had any problems with it not collecting the chips and shavings.
Hope this will inspire and help someone with their dust collection.
Have a Good One,
Smitty
Dovetaildustcollection002.jpg
Dovetaildustcollection001.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Excellent idea. I have seen some similar commercially made. But I bet yours didn't cost as much. How did you curve the Lexan?
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I also hate sweeping, and I hate showering myself with the chips that fly off whatever I am cutting, often ultimately hitting me in the face. some day I will figure out an easy way to connect the DC port on my DW621, but until then, maybe I could figure out your Lexan bending trick?

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Good Morning Everyone,
The Lexan is easy to bend by heating it with a heat gun then bending it around a form. This small a quanity can also be heated in the kitchen oven at low temp ( When the preferred Other isn't home :roll: ) Be sure to wear gloves if this method is used and just heat to a plyable piece having the from a ready hand.
The router plate can be modified to fit most any routers. This one is a PC , all it takes is templating from your existing router plate- Bosch, Dewalt Etc.
Glad you enjoy,
Smitty

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Smitty,
You need to get a patent on that jig now! You have a great idea and someone will use youm idea for there advantage sooner or later. You have a great idea and would like to see you benefit from it and not big corporate companies. Just a thought! Terry:eusa_danc :eusa_clap:new_smili

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS