Dust Build-up in CV1800 - Suggestions?

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
A member of the Clear Vue Forum has posted a question about dust build up on the ramps to his CV1800 cyclone. McRabbet has commented but perhaps some other CV owners can take a look at this owner's problem and see if there are additional suggestions. This link it to post #8 where he shows some additional pictures:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As I am awaiting delivery of my CV, I joined this forum. Can't see much being new. Lots of ideas on ductwork and noise.

charlie jones

New User
Charlie
He can check for leaks. Mine will build up a little when working with pine. He can spray a little WD-40 in the ducts to get rid of static. I looked at the pictures but I am not a member of that forum.

gmakra

New User
George
Could be two things the filter is dirty and not allowing full airflow. Static electricity is an other

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Static attraction hasn't yet been ruled out as a possible culprit. The cyclone and filters are new, so dirty filters is not likely. Some sort of leak at the collection barrel was our first thought, but the owner claims everything is tight and well sealed. This one is puzzling all of us.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Static attraction hasn't yet been ruled out as a possible culprit. The cyclone and filters are new, so dirty filters is not likely. Some sort of leak at the collection barrel was our first thought, but the owner claims everything is tight and well sealed. This one is puzzling all of us.

Need to do a smoke test to really see if tight and well sealed. Could be a pinhole leak that you're never going to see by looking.

Reactions: Oka

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
WD-40 is sticky. Bad idea. Has anyone tried any anti-static spray?
It kind of looked like wet dust.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hesitated to respond, since I don't have a CV but IMHO it is static.
I have looked at the pictures and noticed the patterns of dust, like you get with a static charge...

I would try some metal foil tape, ground it (even applied to the outside of the plastic and see if it makes a difference...
Than he could tackle it in a "fancier" way if that worked...

I am curious what the ClearVue people said... have they seen this before? (Rob (@McRabbet) hasn't and that in my mid is significant!(Sorry, but I didn't see a response from CV if there was one...)

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Thanks, all. At this point the best guess is static as the culprit. The only wood processed has been dry, well-seasoned wood, so this is not an accumulation of wet fibers. Still, I'm suspicious of a leak somewhere that is reducing separation effectiveness in the cyclone. I haven't seen any comment from Clear Vue about this issue, but with Rob responding there is certainly and expert eye on this issue.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I could believe static for a little on the surface, but not the buildup. One needs to look at what is happening while it is running. I doube a small leak could do this as it is a massive blower.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Good recommendation. Direction of rotation is the first thing McRabbet asked about. The owner said the rotation is correct.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Agree. I never had this issue with my CV1800 and have never seen this reported by any other owner except in one case of wrong rotation of the impeller. That seemed the most likely reason for this result here, then some sort of leakage, then turbulence from too short an intake. But, the owner says he's checked all three of these potential issues carefully and they are not at issue. I'm sure this is terribly frustrating for him.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Agree. I never had this issue with my CV1800 and have never seen this reported by any other owner except in one case of wrong rotation of the impeller. That seemed the most likely reason for this result here, then some sort of leakage, then turbulence from too short an intake. But, the owner says he's checked all three of these potential issues carefully and they are not at issue. I'm sure this is terribly frustrating for him.

Time for some videos of the unit in operation, only so much you can guess at with just a few pictures.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
New install? Impeller upside down? I know it is hard to do. But I've seen stupid a time or two (in a mirror).

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Good thought. New install. Impeller can't be installed upside down in this unit, but the electric motor can be wired to run in reverse. However, owner says motor and impeller are running in correct direction.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS