Dupont6480 Workshop started!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on getting the slab in Mark. It's all UP from here. :eusa_doh: I don't see any "J" bolt anchors or imbedded tie down straps around the perimeter. How are you going to anchor the sill plates to the concrete? Also, it looks like you decided not to run the electrical conduit under the slab.

Finally, what is the connection between the concrete trucks and the Coast Guard? I've never seen a concrete truck painted w/ the Coast Guard logo and stripe. :dontknow: Interesting!

Bill

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,
I was curious about the USCG logo myself. . . the driver stated each of their trucks have a different logo in tribute to the military. I ended up having the USCG, the ARMY and MARINES at my house yesterday. I looked at running the conduit under the concrete several times. Since I am still working on the layout of tools and the fact the building is only 16' wide (that is wall to wall; no cabinets etc yet) I decided wall outlets will be sufficient. Let's hope I don't regret my decision down the road.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Now that the concrete is poured; I spent the last 2 nights removing all the forms. Yesterday, I headed to HD to pay for all the materials with a requested delivery date of this Friday. I intend to start framing either Friday or Saturday depending on time of delivery.:eusa_danc

I do have a couple of guestions I need assistance on: The finished building will be 16'x40'. There is a garage door (7'x8') on the front and the main entrance will be a door on the back.

Need recommendations on how many windows and placement of same. Also, need recommendations on what to put over or on concrete slab (wood, epoxy, mats etc) for comfort and durability. Brand names and source would be appreciated.:icon_scra

Please keep the comments and recommendations coming as this forum and the lessons learned and expertise provided have saved me invaluable manhours and dollars.

Thanks, Tim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As for windows, what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to open them for fresh air, or are you looking mainly for natural light?

If you're looking for light, I chose a path that goes against conventional wisdom and most people would disagree w/: I have no windows in my shop. I rely solely on electric lighting. I did this for three reasons: first, natural light is constantly changing as the sun moves overhead, unless you have north facing windows. I like a consistent light I can depend on. Also, most of my work will ultimately be viewed under electric lights, so why not build it that way. Second, windows are a source of energy loss. Third, I like to hang things from the walls, and windows take up valuable real estate.

The "no windows" approach isn't for everyone, but it might be something to think about.

HTH

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For fllooring, I recommend the OSB product that Bobby has in his shop. See this thread -> http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32509 But any kind of wood floor would look great and be comfortable. Mats are comfortable but are harder to clean, and I don't think they look as good. As for window placement and number, that's highly subjective. More light is better, but more windows also make it more difficult to place machinery and cabinets. It may be helpful to do a preliminary layout for your shop and figure out which side is the power tool area and which side the hand tool area. The latter is where I'd put more windows.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,
Thanks for your input. Good points to ponder. I do already have 2 windows in the existing bldg and maybe that is enough as I would rather use the wall space for cabinets and hanging things. I really need to finish a layout plan for my shop but moving in fast forward now to get the framing completed this weekend.
Thanks, Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bas,
Great input. As I mentioned to Bill; you are correct, I need to complete my layout plan. But with work and the progress I am making (framing either Friday or Saturday) not sure if I will be able to complete that. Thanks for the link to Bobby G's site. Great info.
Tim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
In addition to conventional windows, you could also use the wide and short windows at the top of the wall, to let in light but not block the space. French doors provide both light and access. A back corner with 2 windows and a skylight would be super to put a workbench.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bas,
Great idea! I was actually considering some of those narrow and wide windows near the top. I have not looked at a sky lite yet; but will price those today. Since I utilized an existing bldg and built onto that; I need to stay with the garage door as it is only one year old. . . The door on the back wall however; will be the main entrance and the garage door will only be used for large supplies. Thanks again,
Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
For fllooring, I recommend the OSB product that Bobby has in his shop. See this thread -> http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32509 But any kind of wood floor would look great and be comfortable. Mats are comfortable but are harder to clean, and I don't think they look as good.

Tim,

This is the site to go to re: the floor in my shop. http://www.ovrx.com/ . It was originally developed to be used as a sub-floor in basements. I finished it with 3 coats of Minwax floor poly. I am very happy with it.

bobby g

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bobby,
Thanks for the response. I have a few questions:
1- Is the top layer just 4x8 sheets of OSB or tiles same size as the "barricade" tiles?
2- Are these tiles backed with an adhesive? How are they installed?
3- Any information on cost/pricing per sqft?
4- Pros/Cons
Your floor looks great in the picture. Thanks again,
Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bobby,
Thanks for the response. I have a few questions:
1- Is the top layer just 4x8 sheets of OSB or tiles same size as the "barricade" tiles?
Each tile is complete and made up of 5/8" OSB over 1/2" high density styrene.

2- Are these tiles backed with an adhesive? How are they installed?
They have tongue and groove edges and simply lay on the floor. I applied a little Titebond to the joints since I wouldn't be nailing anything to them to help keep them locked in place. I staggered the joints row-to-row. I left 1/2" margin all around to allow for expansion per the instructions from the manufacturer.

3- Any information on cost/pricing per sqft?
About $7.00 for each tile ($1.75/sq. ft.) and you can buy them through the Commercial sales desk at Lowes. They are made in Canada and Lowes should pick up the freight costs. I talked to the manufacturer today and he advised taking their phone number with you when you visit Lowes.
Toll Free
:1 - 866 - 544 - 6879

4- Pros/Cons
The are holding up well and feel great under foot. Visitors to my shop always comment on how the floor feels within moments of entering the shop. It's easy to roll machinery around and the floor is stiff enough to support my 1400# jointer without deforming any noticeable amount. Although the installation went fairly quickly, there were some special need to address. Some of the tiles in my shipment were not perfectly square and required some tweaking to get the joints tight. Also, some of the T&G's were slightly misplaced resulting in a some small ridges at the seams. I didn't contact the manufacturer about these things at the time but it would be interesting to hear their comments if you brought up these points.

Your floor looks great in the picture. Thanks again,
Tim
Thanks, I like it a lot and would do it again!

bobby g

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bobby,
Wow! Appreciate the details in your response and for the phone number. This sounds like a great product. I was hoping the cost was less as I have still not completed buying all the major tools yet alone the workshop. Did you build your cabinets and workbenches first or is this product wall to wall with the cabinets on top? Just thinking about how to save some dollars. I plan on going to Lowe's tomorrow to check this out.
Thanks again.
Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
DUST COLLECTION INFORMATION

OK! My shop will be 16'x40' when completed. It will be a one man shop (one to two machines at most in use at a time) and I have the ability to shoot the dust outside the building instead of collecting it into a bag with the collector. And I intend to have an interior wall that houses both the DC and Air Compressor.

Earlier this year, I bought a used 2hp JET 1100 w/ RC at a great price. Is this going to be sufficient or will I need to switch to a cyclone type system like ONEIDA?

I have never needed a DC system before so any help in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bobby,
Wow! Appreciate the details in your response and for the phone number. This sounds like a great product. I was hoping the cost was less as I have still not completed buying all the major tools yet alone the workshop. Did you build your cabinets and workbenches first or is this product wall to wall with the cabinets on top? Just thinking about how to save some dollars. I plan on going to Lowe's tomorrow to check this out.
Thanks again.
Tim

Tim,

I went wall to wall with the flooring to maintain maximum flexibility in the future. Lowes has a promotion right now offering 5% discount if you use their credit card. BTW, you can borrow my installation tool and save $40.

Good Luck,

bobby g

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bobby,
Thanks again.
Tim
Some alternatives if the price of Barricade is too big of a hurdle -> http://homerenovations.about.com/od/floors/tp/BasementSubfloorTiles.htm

Just remember that the floor is the hardest thing to replace in the shop. Once the tools and cabinets are in place, it's going to take rumors of gold hidden beneath the floor to get people to move it all out :)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
DUST COLLECTION INFORMATION

OK! My shop will be 16'x40' when completed. It will be a one man shop (one to two machines at most in use at a time) and I have the ability to shoot the dust outside the building instead of collecting it into a bag with the collector. And I intend to have an interior wall that houses both the DC and Air Compressor.

Earlier this year, I bought a used 2hp JET 1100 w/ RC at a great price. Is this going to be sufficient or will I need to switch to a cyclone type system like ONEIDA?

I have never needed a DC system before so any help in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
You may want to start a separate thread on this topic. Is a cyclone necessary? No, it just helps with separating the dust from the air. If you use a filter, that's important because a clogged filter absolutely kills performance. If you vent outside, a cyclone can be useful so that you don't spew chips all over the neighborhood (the fine dust dissipates without any real problems).

If you are able to direct both dust and chips outside without restriction, a 2HP system for a shop your size should be sufficient. That's not to say a bigger machine with a larger impeller wouldn't show an improvement, but I'd put that pretty far down the list of purchases/ upgrades.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bobby,
Thanks again and I will keep you in mind on the installation tool. Great info and I am heading to Lowe's today to check this out!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors