Dupont6480 Workshop started!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Thanks for all the pointers!

To comment on your recommendations:
  1. We will definitely be tamping the ground after digging footings. I discussed this with the concrete guy last week.
  2. We will be using 6 mil vapor barrier.
  3. The concrete contractor (friend) has extra re-bar and prefers reinforcing wire over the mesh. (are there advantages to the mesh over the wire other than cost?)
  4. We are planning on saw control joints every 8-10'
  5. Had not thought of the curing compound/sealer . . . any recommended vendors/brands?
  6. We were surprised last week to find that the barn at the top plate was perfectly level! Only explanation was the 4x4s in concrete did their job extremely well.
Again, thanks for all your great advice and I look forward to more of the same as the project progresses.:eusa_danc

Rain next few days so will probably NOT be digging footings on Friday. :no:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mesh is fine as long as it is pulled off the bottom of the slab while pouring. Just lying on top of the poly will give it no reinforcing strength. It must be IN the slab. Reputable finishers know to do this.

Glennbear

Glenn
Mesh is fine as long as it is pulled off the bottom of the slab while pouring. Just lying on top of the poly will give it no reinforcing strength. It must be IN the slab. Reputable finishers know to do this.

Dennis is 100% correct. Farrrrrrr too often I have seen wire mesh with concrete poured OVER it as opposed to mesh being IN the slab. :confused_ There are "chairs" sold to suspend the mesh above the poly so it ends up mid-slab. :wsmile:

dupont6480

New User
Tim
We discussed the use of "chairs" when I lay the mesh but the contractor stated he likes to "hook" the mesh when pouring to pull it off the slab. Thanks again!

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
We discussed the use of "chairs" when I lay the mesh but the contractor stated he likes to "hook" the mesh when pouring to pull it off the slab. Thanks again!

Hey Tim,

I would strongly recommend against "hooking" the rebar during placement - basically because it doesn't work. To minimize cracking you want the mesh located in the top third of the slab depth (approx. 1-1.5" from the top of a 4" slab.), otherwise, it really isnt doing anything.

If you try to "hook" the mesh into place while pouring, you have no way of knowing where the mesh is located in the slab, and the weight of the concrete being placed above, not to mention the finishing crew walking on top afterwards is going to push the mesh right back down to the bottom of the slab, (gravity works).

I have investigated several slab failures where the mesh was "pulled up" and everytime, when I look at the core sample, the mesh is right at the very bottom.

Since you are going to the trouble of pouring a brand new slab, do it right, and pick up some pre-made reinforcing chairs, or even a bundle of concrete bricks. They are cheap, and you'll save yourself a good bit of aggrivation down the road.

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Heath,
Thanks for the great advice. I will add the chairs and bricks to my cut list.
This site is great and really saves one a lot of aggravation down the road.
Cheers!
Tim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Inquiring minds want to know, Hawkeye, how's it going with the shop? :icon_scra
Did the floor turn out OK?

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Dennis,
Made quite a bit of progress the last 2 days. . . Plan to post pictures and an update tomorrow night. Friday, brought bobcat over and started digging the footings and then after scraping the grass and layer of dirt off; went back to my neighbor's farm and retreived his backhoe and dug the footings! Today, we built the forms and tomorrow morning will check our work with the transit. Pictures and more details coming soon.
Thanks, Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Re: Dupont6480 Workshop progress

Friday forecast looked good so I took off from work. My travel and the weather have really been hampering any progress. Friday morning I went out back to meet my neighbor who had volunteered the use of his Bobcat. He immediately started prepping the footing area by scraping the top layer of grass and dirt.

P4080705.JPG

Once he was done with the bobcat, we went back to his farm and picked up his tractor with the back hoe and he got to work on digging the footings.

My original plan was to build a 4x8 foot room off the back, but at the recommendation of my friend, we decided to just increase the pad from 16x18 to 16x22 and build an interior wall to house the DC and air compressor. After he completed digging the footings he made quick work of the 8x8 apron in front of the building and had to leave for work. I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the footings and cutting OSB, 2x4s and stakes in preparation of building the forms for Saturday. Saturday morning, we started and by lunchtime had completed the building the forms.

P4100719.JPG

Early this morning, another friend brought over his transit and we checked our work from Saturday.

Two minor adjustments to the form and we were good. I spent the rest of the day tightening up the forms and adding some more sand to the footings to get the slab level. I need more sand and plan to get it next Friday and finish leveling out the slab, clean out the footings, and level the sand in the exisitng building. Next, I will purchase the chairs, plastic and mesh and after getting all that placed properly (hopefully next weekend) I should be able to pour (concrete guy bringing the rebar) the following Saturday (if the weather is favorable) All in all a great weekend and made good progress.

Since we extended the back section another 4 feet. I will now have a 16'x40'x workshop with a 8'x8' apron on the front once completed. I am pretty sure there will be no more growth now that the forms are done.​

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Hawkeye,

As I was reading thru the footing trenching section, I kept thinking that you should extend the bump-out clear across the back... and you did! Good decision! :eusa_clap Great progress.

bobby g

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up
I know your neighbor will think of it, but I gotta say it;
"Don't forget the anchor bolts."

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update. You're making great progress. Like bobbyg said, good decision to extend the footprint across the entire back side. I think you'll be glad you did. Isn't it great to have friends w/ equipment? :eusa_danc What did you decide about laying conduit for electrical in the concrete?

Bill

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Friends are good. Friends with equipment and talents are Great! Still discussing with (electrician) friend on placement of conduit.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Since we are building exterior walls any problem using expansion bolts and installing (drilling) them after the concrete is poured?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Expansion bolts or Philips anchors will create stresses in the fresh concrete when tightened that may cause it to break off at the edge. Better to get the anchor straps that are used in some areas if you can't get bolts. They are usually a heavy gauge galvanized strap that is split at the top. A hole is bored in the shoe plate and the strap threaded though, then bent over the shoe and nailed off. Remember, these anchors aren't to hold the building UP, they are to hold it DOWN!
Hope the storm didn't take down what you already had up.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Dennis,
We only received a lot of high winds and rain. Building did well. How was your area?
Thanks for the info. One more question: I put the 6 mil plastic down last night and will put the mesh and chairs down tonight. If it rains before we pour; is there going to be a problem with standing water due to the plastic and if so is their a solution. THanks,\
Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Re: Dupont6480 Workshop. Concrete Pour !

Since my last posting. I finished the footings and forms. Checked level with transit. Layed the 6 mil plastic down and placed the mesh and chairs on

Here is a close-up of the 6 mil plastic and the chairs.

Since completing all the prep work we have been waiting anxiously for clear weather. But as most of you know very well (our thoughts and prayers are still with you) we have been plaqued with tornados, heavy down pours almost everyweekend. Well, I received a call Thursday night that Saturday was looking good and the concrete was being ordered. Yesterday morning the concrete contractors showed up at 0730. I had coffee made for everyone and the day was looking great! After installing the rebar in the footings we made one last review of the prep work before the first concrete truck arrived. What a site to see that first truck pulling up the driveway!

The total pour had been estimated at 12 yards. The first truck carried an eight yard load and while they were cleaning their truck the second truck arrived with the remaining 4 yards.
Well, not sure what happened (bad estimate, short truck load etc) but we were approx 1/2 yard shy of being finished and had to wait for a third truck to bring the final load. (I had three separate contractors estimate 11 yards for the pour and recommend 12 yards delivered). Here is the third truck completing the final pour.
Needless to say we were a little disappointed but soon refocused on the job at hand and spent the next 3-4 hours completing the job. The open area cured fast and the concrete guy was able to use his smoother machine. The area under the roofed area did not dry as fast and they had to finish that part by hand.

And here they are putting in the stress relief cuts. Placed these appox every 8-10 feet.

Can't tell you how great it feels to finally have the footings and slab complete. Plan now is to order all the materials from the local HD then after work this week remove the forms, fill in with dirt and if weather permits start framing either Friday or Saturday (Sunday open for Mother's Day, DON"T FORGET THE LOYL!!!)

Please provide comments/recommendations for improvement. Need recommendations for floor finish (paint, epoxy kits, sealers etc); insulation R factor, and presently I am looking at four windows on each 40' side. :icon_cheers

M

McRabbet

Re: Dupont6480 Workshop. Concrete Pour !

Great progress!! Sad to say ther isn't that much flat ground within 500 yards of my home in the mountains! My house has an entrance on grade and a twenty foot drop from the deck that is thirty-two feet to the rear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS