Dumbest tool purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don Alexander;372388 anyone else notice that when really junky tools are mentioned that HF is by far the most often mentioned brand? if not just reread this thread[/QUOTE said:
HF does have a lot of junk, but they also have some "gems." I bought one of their 6 in1 nailers to do a handicap ramp. In two boxes of nails, it misfired about a half dozen times. Usually this was just as air compressor kicked in. Biggest problem was it's heavy. As a general rule, I avoid anything from HF that has a power cord attached, with the multi-tool being the exception. The two I own have earned me a lot more than they cost.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
It's interesting that you say that because I consider my Ryobi One tools some of the best purchases I've made, but I did spring for the Lithium when I needed replacement batteries. My original set that LOML bought for me included the 5 1/2" circular saw, the cordless drill, and the light (and the radio, which I never use). I also bought the sawzall and the weed wacker, which I don't think you can get anymore. They are all among my most used tools, especially for home improvement type projects.

I should say the tools were great, the NiCad battery was terrible. I sold the tools and battery, and will upgrade to lithium for my next purchase.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
For the most part, I have learned to wait for the brand and tool that I want. I have had to 'upgrade' so many tools that I eventually discovered that with the waste of money, effort, and frustration it is easier to wait it out. I have been known to buy the tool with my credit card, and put my tool allowance money on the credit card bill until it is paid. Then I start after the next tool! :eusa_danc

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Before I had a drill press I bought one of those hand drill attachments that has the sliding guide to be used as a drill press... I was doing some dowel joints and needed the holes straight. I ended drilling them by hand and later got a nice drill press... I still have this thing but haven't used it.

I also bought the small bowl adze from WC with the intent of using it... I think I paid 120 or so for it.. haven't used it once :) but it does look nice on the chisel shelf.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I also bought the small bowl adze from WC with the intent of using it... I think I paid 120 or so for it.. haven't used it once :) but it does look nice on the chisel shelf.

At least you keep it out in plain site so you can find it with both hands. :rotflm:

I have the double ended Stubai that has a detail hatchet on the other end. I do use the hatchet end a lot. One thing that I do now is swing the adze with much less force than I usually used to; I have found it more useful to chip away with a lot of rapid taps than I did when I tried to dig holes with it.

Len

New User
Len
I'd say my 'dumbest' tool purchase was buying a Roto-Zip Tool when they first came out. I think I used it twice before I figured out I could do the same job with a "jab" style drywall saw in half the time. The tool itself is probably ok if you have to cut a lot of holes in drywall or paneling. But it's major overkill for a once or twice a year 'honey do' project.

Len

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I should say the tools were great, the NiCad battery was terrible. I sold the tools and battery, and will upgrade to lithium for my next purchase.

I have about 15 One+ tools. A little late for you Mike, but the Ryobi LiIon batts work fine in the old tools designed for the NiCads. I have about 10-12 NiCads and 3 LiIons, and the NiCads don't even get charged anymore. Plus the LiIon charger is solid state, which makes it much lighter in weight-and it charges the NiCads in about 1/2 the time than the old charger designed for the NiCads.

MTCW, YMMV.

BillGriz

New User
Bill
Dumbest tool purchase was a finger joint jig from WoodCraft. Nothing wrong with the jig but when looking for a place to keep it, I decided a good place to put it would be on the shelf in the far side of the garage. Reached up to put it there.....and there was another one, brand new, still in the box that I'd bought a year or two ago and had forgotten I'd bought it.....:BangHead:

....as least I was ale to take it back for a refund.....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dumbest tool purchase was a finger joint jig from WoodCraft. Nothing wrong with the jig but when looking for a place to keep it, I decided a good place to put it would be on the shelf in the far side of the garage. Reached up to put it there.....and there was another one, brand new, still in the box that I'd bought a year or two ago and had forgotten I'd bought it.....:BangHead:

....as least I was ale to take it back for a refund.....

BTDT - but couldn't get a refund. Bought the item in Beaufort, NC & I live in Monroe. :eusa_doh:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Interesting topic. I'd have to say that buying cheap tools in general has not been the best decision. I outfitted my entire shop with bottom of the line tools and now all I do is look around and see tools in desperate need of upgrades. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Oh well, in time..... :gar-La;

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Interesting topic. I'd have to say that buying cheap tools in general has not been the best decision. I outfitted my entire shop with bottom of the line tools and now all I do is look around and see tools in desperate need of upgrades. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Oh well, in time..... :gar-La;

In all fairness Trent, your tablesaw may not be the best out there but you did get a decent price on it... :wink_smil:gar-Bi (just yanking your chain bud!)

richlife

New User
Rich
I have to say that this thread is a great read! Thanks to all for sharing.

My tale is really very different because I've been fortunate enough to actually find value in all my tool purchases (that I can remember). But of course there is an exception -- and an expensive one...

As a carver who has somehow ended up using almost exclusively hand tools (no motors), I've been sort of constantly looking for good motorized tools that would help me carve faster and better. Others may disagree, but I don't think that animal (tool) exists.

But I did invest a LOT of money in a Foredom Rotary Woodcarving Kit (the heavy duty TX model) with multiple handpieces and LOTS of bits. I even kept buying new bits (convinced that the right ones would lead to success). After many tries and some decent carvings, I finally decided that the best purpose for this tool is to engrave my logo into my work. Hundreds of dollars for a VERY minor task!

Don't misunderstand -- it's a good tool. It's just not for me and not to my liking. It sits in my small shop taking up it's small space (but more than I'd like) and being basically useless.

<sigh> :dontknow:

Rich

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Where do I begin? Many of the tools in my shop, that see little use are because they came in a bundle when I bought my brother's wood shop in Florida. There's the Duplicarver that has yet to be used, but hopefully will see action, the Foredom tool that's raring to go, but only seems to rev up when I step on the wrong foot switch, the Rigid plunge router outfit I bought when I already had 5 other routers in the shop. I've improved since I retired though--severely diminished income severely diminishes perceived need. Now my greatest need seems to be for more shop space for all the things I think I will someday just have to use.:gar-Bi

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hum,

I would say my Kreg router table that I use rarely, and PC dovetail jig that I have never used. I usually love using a router table , but the plate insert on the Kreg router table sucks. I hat having to un-screw three screws to remove the center plate to put in another bit, then re-screw the plate with the screws in the wrong place and have to do it all over again so it is flat. I am used to using the Rockler center plates that yous just twist in and I should have just upgraded to a plate that I liked but after spending $500 on the router table/fence/stand combo I have just been fed up with it.

And I keep telling myself, one day I will use that Dovetail jig??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS