Dulcimer

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Several weeks ago, Jim Creasman brought a beautifully crafted dulcimer that he had recently completed to one of the NCWW RDU Lunches. My wife loved it and asked if I would build one for her. It looked like an interesting project, plus Jim said it only took him a couple of weeks...so, I said "Yes, Dear." In all candor, it is a very interesting build, but it took me longer than Jim (four weeks for me and I am retired, Jim is still a working man!). The plans for the project were published in an issue of Woodcraft Magazine. The body is sapele and the fret board is hard maple. The sapele is finished with clear gloss poly (Minwax). I applied walnut stain to the fret board before applying poly, otherwise the maple looked too white. All of the hardware was purchased from Folkcraft Instruments.

6AE84631-C0E9-4DEB-99BB-8232E4A71A0D.jpeg
7FF59E67-39A1-465F-A01E-C862477EE528_1_201_a.jpeg
758350DA-54F4-42AB-AD72-FF70799B2C1E.jpeg

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow! Does it sound as good as it looks?

Reactions: drw

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So I too have always been interested in making musical instruments - but upon completion I would have no idea how to play anything! That sort of dissuades me.

So aside from my/our admiration of the finished product, which is wonderful - will anyone actually play this? Or is someone going to learn?

Reactions: drw

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you to everyone for your very kind comments, I am very appreciative. While I am not musical, Adele is a music major (piano); so if there is any hope of a pleasing melody coming out of the instrument, it resides totally with her. She has been tuning it and says it does have a pleasant tone.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS