Duke Oaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I read the article. Really good write-up of making use of trees cut down. Not just a lot of firewood.

Roy G

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great job Scott.. I was working in the area when this took place. It was pretty awesome to watch

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks for all of the kind words.

That was not the longest log that we've ever handled, but it was certainly the heaviest! I'm thinking of modifying my slabber in order to increase my maximum cut width from 6' to 7', just for that one log.

We actually milled a 41 footer last week, but the log was only 10,000 lbs.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the kind words.

That was not the longest log that we've ever handled, but it was certainly the heaviest! I'm thinking of modifying my slabber in order to increase my maximum cut width from 6' to 7', just for that one log.

We actually milled a 41 footer last week, but the log was only 10,000 lbs.
O.K. but which one in your opinion will yield the better, nicer, more desirable lumber? (what ever classification you choose)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good stuff! Scott, as long as it was ONLY 10,000 pounds -
Heck of an operation you have my friend

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
O.K. but which one in your opinion will yield the better, nicer, more desirable lumber? (what ever classification you choose)

Hank, every log has an ideal purpose based upon the species, size, growth rate and log quality. Some logs are best quartersawn for furniture lumber, others are best flat sawn for pallet lumber.

The large log from Duke's best purpose will be as full width live edge slabs. Due to the limbs and crotch in the trunk, as well as the wide growth rings, it is not the best candidate for furniture lumber other than as a slab.

The 41' log was southern yellow pine. The bottom 33' was very clear and could have made furniture grade boards; however since SYP is so prevalent around here the log, IMO, was better utilized to make either long beams or in my instance, 41' 2 x 10's that I will be using for constructing some 40' parallel chord trusses. The log had a small end diameter of 24" at 41'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors