Ductwork - Premium or Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
So I have a smaller shop, about 300 sqft. and I just got a quote for ductwork from Penn State Ind. I had them quote me the economy and the premium ductworks. There is about a 350.00 dollar difference between the two.

Does anyone have experience with these different ducts? I know the premium is a bit thicker and spiraled. But I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 350. Would love some suggestions about which way would be best, as I dont have experience with either.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I used the economy grade ductwork (26 gauge) from both Penn State and Onieda. I have not had a problem with any of it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Installation was relatively simple. I had no problems with fitting pieces together. It can be a little difficult to snap the snap-lock pipe together, especially the smaller diameter stuff (4")

For tools, I picked up a set of tin snips and a crimping tool. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to hold the joints together and wrapped the seams with aluminum duct tape.

All of my ductwork is overhead. The 26 gauge economy duct is lighter than the premium (20, 22, 24ga) stuff.

I used long wire ties (24" & 36") and a few screw type hose clamps to hold the pipe to the ceiling. The wire ties and hose clamps are held in place with strips of wood screwed to the osb ceiling. Thanks to Bill Clemmons for that tip.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I go with functional, wiht often is a combination of economy and premium pieces, along with some bailing wire and duct tape. YMMV

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For tools, I picked up a set of tin snips and a crimping tool. I used self tapping sheet metal screws to hold the joints together and wrapped the seams with aluminum duct tape.

All of my ductwork is overhead. The 26 gauge economy duct is lighter than the premium (20, 22, 24ga) stuff.

I used long wire ties (24" & 36") and a few screw type hose clamps to hold the pipe to the ceiling. The wire ties and hose clamps are held in place with strips of wood screwed to the osb ceiling. Thanks to Bill Clemmons for that tip.

My approach was almost identical to Mark's. For my fittings (wyes, reducers, couplers, sweeps, etc.) I went w/ the Oneida products. For my straight pipe, I bought the 60" lengths of HVAC pipe from Lowe's and fit it together. It's easier to deal w/ when you have a non-standard length to install. For all my connections I used self-tapping sheet metal screws and wrapped the outside of each joint w/ aluminum foil tape. If I were doing it over, I might try to use rivets instead of screws.

My system has been in place for almost seven years now w/ no problems.

HTH

Bill

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I used 6" HVAC pipe from HD. Contrary to some belief that it will collapse, it won't unless you have a real deavy duty system. I use a Grizzly 2hp. 1550cfm DC and as a tryout I put a section of this pipe on the end of the DC and when it got up to speed I blocked it instantly with a piece of hard insulation foam. No problem.

Good luck !

FlyingRon

Ron
I have similar experience to JimmyC. I've got the Griz 2HP (GO440 or whatever it is) as well. The Lowes snap duct works fine in the 2' lengths. The longer six foot pieces do oil can a bit if I kick on the DC while all the blast gates are closed, but I'm not too concerned. If I had it to do over again, I'd just use more shorter pieces. The crimps give it enough rigidity over the 2' span. There are only two long pieces of duct in my shop anyhow.

magellan44

New User
magellan44
I have had similar results with HVAC ducts. When i re-did my shop i used Nordfab duct work. I believe Grizzly sells a similar product or it may be Nordfab. Great stuff. you can rearrange it at any time. It joins by using a ring clamp with a gasket in it. No doubt it is expensive but boy in my opinion its well worth it. I used to spend as much time working in my shop as i did cleaning the jambs in the HVAC pipe...not a jamb in years once i started using a real system of pipes. So what ever you end up using make sure it is a well thought out system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS