Ductless Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I am considering a ductless split for the new shop. It is about 1,100 square feet with a bit over 9' ceilings. The up front cost seems a bit scary, but it seems they are more efficient than a window AC unit and much, much more efficient than an electric space heater.

Who is using ductless splits currently? Any issues? What brand/model are you using? Where did you purchase it from? Who did the installation?

RainMaker

New User
Tony
Hi Jeremy,

Ductless splits certainly have their attractions; and I have installed a good number of them. In your case however you may be better served with a conventional ducted split system. If I understand correctly you are attempting to treat a little over 10,000 cubic feet of air; and whereas ductless units are able to serve as many as three evaporators; when all things are considered including costs and overall performance I would have too look real hard to give up the ducted system. Having no idea about the construction and insulation factors of the space you are treating I would encourage you to have a heat loss & gain calculation done. Once you have that information; it will be easier to make the best decision.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This question is also of interest to me. Although A/C is not as big an issue up here in Floyd, VA, the heating component might be come winter. There is a gas heater in the basement along one wall of the shop and I'm told it is a good one. But.. a heat pump working in the basement shop area would be easier to regulate and would additionally provide some cooling and dehumidifying in summer. So, I look forward to additional responses to Jeremy's questions.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Ducts would certainly be a pain to put in at this point. The ceiling is drywalled, as well as the walls. I was thinking that ducts weren't needed since the shop is one big open space with the exception of a finishing room.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
Ducts would certainly be a pain to put in at this point. The ceiling is drywalled, as well as the walls. I was thinking that ducts weren't needed since the shop is one big open space with the exception of a finishing room.

I can certainly understand your reasoning; my concern along with the actual heat loss & gain is also the number of air exchanges per hr. coupled with de-humidification along with overall comfort and cost of operation.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jeremy,

you may want to point out that this space is half or more underground, in a basement, well insulated, and the upstairs is conditioned living space.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jeremy, my shop was considerably smaller than yours, but I had a Mitsubishi spilt system and it worked very well! While my system was calibrated for the volume of my shop, but I know there are larger versions geared for larger spaces. Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to get a similar system in the future. Good luck!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I had a Fujitsu mini-split in my last shop and loved it. My system was a 12,000 btu for a space of about 450 sqft. that was well insulated. It provided good cooling and heating and the monthly cost was fairly low. The only maintenance was cleaning the removable filter every month, but simple to do. I had our HVAC contractor do it when we upgraded the home system and they serviced it when doing the house. As a side note my new shop has a PTAC through-wall unit like the hotels have and it sucks!

Attachments

• Mini-split (1).jpg
    Mini-split (1).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
We have a mini split in our 1000 sf finished basement- 1/2 above ground 1/2 below. We also have a mini split in our garage where I currently do my work. Both models are American Standard as that is what our HVAC company uses. No issues. Quiet, effective. The air in the room equilibrates evenly. It is really quick to reach target if you want to bump the temp up or down. Time for finish? Bump it up and in a short time you are at optimal finish temp. I clean the reuseable filter with a vacuum once about every 4-6 mo. No problems with sawdust environment. In fact, garage woodworking environment filter stays cleaner than finished basement filter, probably because of the dogs. Installed by Wall-Turner. Wouldn't go any other way.

FlyingRon

Ron
The minisplit would certainly be more cost effective (efficiency is not quite the word you want) than an electric space heater. The other option is a through the wall heat pump (think what you typically see in motel rooms). I had one of those in the shop I had in New Jersey. Worked great (I didn't put it in, the house I bought had a ceramics studio in the space formerly...240 power and all made an excellent conversion).

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
My shop is 23' x 32.5' (747 sq ft) in a basement with 9 foot ceilings. It is a daylight basement with one 32.5' wall exposed. That wall is 2x6 construction insulated with sheetrock on the interior and brick on the outside. The exterior door is insulated and the exterior window is double pane glass. Two walls are concrete block underground with no insulation. One 23' wall is a 2x4 interior wall, insulated with sheetrock on both sides. On the other side of the interior wall is conditioned space. The shop ceiling is also insulated (6" batts, no sheetrock).

In 2013 I installed a 12,000 BTU Mitsubishi model MSZ-FE12NA indoor and MUZ-FE12NA-1 outdoor unit ductless split system. It has a 7 year compressor warranty and 5 year warranty on other parts. Per the dealer/installer it would use less electricity than a 60 watt light bulb. We noticed no change in the electric bill after installation and with the basement conditioned, we noticed the kitchen above the shop is more comfortable in winter. HVAC company suggested a lower BTU system (9000 or 10,000 as I recall) but I went with the larger 12,000 BTU system just in case. Based on my experience to date, the smaller system would likely have worked.

I'm delighted with the performance of the system. In winter I am a comfortable 70 degrees, even when the outside temperature is 15 degrees. In summer I run the system at 74 degrees. The system cycles on and off less frequently than my house Trane heat pump. Plus it is extremely quiet inside and outside. The outside unit is installed next to my deck. Standing or sitting on the deck the dryer vent positioned next to the split system unit is louder than the split system. As mentioned previously the system is much more efficient than a ducted air heat pump.

No issues conditioning the entire space from one interior unit positioned above the window on the outside wall. Temperature is uniform throughout the shop. I have a double door to the exterior of the shop through which I move materials and equipment. The system recovers quickly from the door being opened and closed frequently on hot or cold days.

The system came with a remote control unit and wall mounted bracket for the remote. This is a very handy feature.

I do run a portable dehumidifier during the peak summer months. Even with the split system running I fill a 70 pint bucket in a 24 hour cycle. My understanding is that mini split systems are not as effective as ducted air heat pumps in reducing humidity. With the dehumidifier running, the humidity in the shop is about 42. Without it is about 68. I do not run a humidifier in winter months.

No repair issues in 4 years of operation. The only maintenance is cleaning the filter every 6 months. If I ever build another shop, it will have one.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
3 car garage shop space, lg 12k btu mini split, awesome only way i can describe it. Has an auto feature where by you set a temp and it stays there 12 months a year

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I'll second Chuck's experience that I also add dehumidification. The split has a dehumidify mode but has no feedback loop for dehumidification. I like the basement and shop environment consistently less than 60% and usually at a steady 50%. Garage has a portable 70 pint hooked to exterior drain line. Finished basement ties in with whole house dehumification.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Planning to put one in this Fall. Looking forward to working in my shop this winter.

:wsmile:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm following this close because I'll be buying one for my shop as well when it gets built. I've been looking around and like this one. I think I saw it on Amazon at first. They have lots of different packages.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm?CategoryID=97

The install looks pretty easy, but the final hookup and pressure check would need to be completed by an HVAC professional. Lots of YouTube videos on the install.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
The install looks pretty easy, but the final hookup and pressure check would need to be completed by an HVAC professional. Lots of YouTube videos on the install.

I wonder if it will be a problem to get a professional to come out and do those last steps when they didn't do the rest of the install. Assuming that you can find someone to do the last steps only, would it only be incrementally more expensive to have them do the entire install?

Some really quick research indicates installing it yourself can void many warranties. That would be a deal breaker for me. I'll have to look into it more.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I too had a Mitsubishi mini-split and it was awesome. Heated and cooled my workshop easily. I will be having one installed in my new workshop once we are at that point. Very efficient and quiet.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS