Dual Purpose Post - WIP and Dust Collector vs Cyclone Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepoolplayer

New User
Nate
So, I have two goals with this post.

1. I've been working on a walnut toy box. This is my first project using rough lumber. Pictures below:
Rough cut from Saw4you:
IMAG0049.jpg

Squared Stock
IMAG0207.jpg

Dry Fit of the front face - first raised panel project
IMAG0211.jpg

2. During this project, I managed to create a giant mess of dust and wood chips. I have a 16 gallon shop vac, but it really didn't help. So the questions to the guru's is would a cyclone attachment be sufficient or should invest in a DC unit? If DC unit, then what should I look for? $100 or $1,000 unit?

Thanks for looking.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Dust Collector! Harbor Freight (I know a lot of their stuff is garbage) sells a 1.5HP Dust Collector (with good reviews) for $249. If you check their ads, you can use a coupon and get it for $139. I have had mine for over a year and a half and it is still working great. I know somebody will probably say that Harbor Freight sucks and that you are wasting your money. I would challenge them to find a better dust collector solution for $139! :)

Just my 2 cents.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
For $139.00 the HF DC works very well. If you go that route, consider adding a Thein type pre-separator or something like the Vortex system from Rockler. If you don't, you will be emptying the bags quite often and losing suction as you use the collector.

You should also replace the filter bags that are on the HF DC with either 1.0 or .5 micron bags or better still a Wynn filter.

If you can afford to do so, a full blown cyclone system is the way to go. Check out Penn-State Industries, Oneida, Clear-Vue, Grizzly, JDS, etc.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The box looks good :icon_thum

Personally, I'm happy with my Fein vac and a 40gal paper barrel and Thein baffle. But if I had the room, I'd have a cyclone.

For $139.00 the HF DC works very well. If you go that route, consider adding a Thein type pre-separator or something like the Vortex system from Rockler. If you don't, you will be emptying the bags quite often and losing suction as you use the collector.

You should also replace the filter bags that are on the HF DC with either 1.0 or .5 micron bags or better still a Wynn filter.

If you can afford to do so, a full blown cyclone system is the way to go. Check out Penn-State Industries, Oneida, Clear-Vue, Grizzly, JDS, etc.

Wynn Filter Wynn Filter and yea WynnFilter....
http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

so yea I have the HF dustcollector with the Wynn Filter cause at the time it was the best deal and I am happy with the job it does but

I just bought this today cause a dust collector is not enough in the long run

http://jdstools.com/jdsairtechhp.aspx

pviser

New User
paul
I have an Oasis 5 HP single stage sytem with 4" PVC going to each of my large machines. It came to my door for a total cost of $470. I then spent about $200 on PVC pipe and fittings. At each tool, the suction will pull the fuzz off of a tennis ball. The DC is located next to a 1/2 HP housed exhaust fan installed onto a 24" X 24" window. It easily handles ambient dust that escapes the canvass bags. This is the way to go, in my view, but many are sure to disagree. The bottom line is that my tools are nearly dust free and I've save a heap of money. I will take photos and do a full report when I get the time.

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I recently got the HF dust collector, and have a trash can type separator. Once I got a jointer and planer this year, it was absolutely necessary. I love the set up, and the whole thing cost less than $200. Next upgrade will be the better filter bag - per Mark's suggestion.

Lloyd

joepoolplayer

New User
Nate
So, I did a bit of research last night. I think I'll start with the Thien Seperator. Once I get that working with the shop vac, I'll go get a DC.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I mounted my Thien baffle inside the bag ring on my HF DC with excellent results. I also have the Wynn filter and and ambient JDS air cleaner and although I want a 5HP cyclone, the results I get are acceptable, if I setup an over-blade DC fitting I would be all set...

I mounted my Thien baffle inside the bag ring on my HF DC with excellent results. I also have the Wynn filter and and ambient JDS air cleaner and although I want a 5HP cyclone, the results I get are acceptable, if I setup an over-blade DC fitting I would be all set...

when my JDS comes in the mail we will have the same set up

Have you tried a pre seperator on your HC DC Yet ??

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
when my JDS comes in the mail we will have the same set up

Have you tried a pre seperator on your HC DC Yet ??

Not yet and I probably won't mess with it. I have told myself that I have tinkered enough with this DC setup so my plan is to use it until it breaks and then spend a bunch of money on a cyclone (unless I win one tomorrow)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors