dual 240v outlets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I would like to have a double NEMA L6-30R outlet so that two tools that will never be used simultaneously (table saw and jointer) can remain plugged in.

Worst case I can add a 2nd outlet but it would look nicer if there were a dual receptacle like for standard 120V setups.

Does such an outlet exist??

Thanks

decibel

New User
Patrick
The closest I ever saw was the dual 20A 220 outlets. I gave up and just assumed I was looking for the impossible but maybe someone here knows where a secret stash is :dontknow:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I looked for such an outlet as well. The only options appear to be power distribution boxes or hardware used in data centers. Think expensive. Another option would be to install a single outlet but use a splitter:
31eB4NF2CpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But, that probably violates the "looking nicer" criterion. It's not cheap either. Incidentally, I did not find any sort of wall plates that would fit over a duplex L6 receptacle either.

jhreed

New User
james
Buy a local disconnect such as used on an outside a/c compressor. Hard wire both tools through the disconnect. Flip the lever on the disconnect and lock out while working on tool, blade changes etc.
James

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't think you will find one the size you are looking for- a duplex L6-30r would likely be too big for a standard, single gang receptacle box. Any setup like that would likely be designed for two separate circuits- the number of connections of that wire size (10 ga.) for two circuits exceeds code for a standard, single gang receptacle box. Any duplex or multiple 30 amp receptacle setup is going to be some sort of power distribution panel. You can make one of your own using a larger NEMA enclosure (like pictured below) and a cover drilled/punched for two L6-30r.

P10100522.JPG

eyekode

New User
Salem
Is there any problems with simply buying a double gang box and putting two single receptacles in it?
Salem

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I would like to have a double NEMA L6-30R outlet so that two tools that will never be used simultaneously (table saw and jointer) can remain plugged in.

Worst case I can add a 2nd outlet but it would look nicer if there were a dual receptacle like for standard 120V setups.

Does such an outlet exist??

Frankly, I'm not confident that you could physically fit two L6-20/30R twist-lock receptacles in a double-gang box, there just would not be any clearance to speak of between the two plugs (or receptacles for that matter). The cover opening for an L6-20/30R should be 1.60", or 1.70", IIRC, across the [interior] face of the receptacle. Looking online, there are double outlet covers for 1.406" single receptacles (such as 6-20R) and there is only maybe 0.3-0.4", or thereabouts, clearance between the two receptacles. If you do the math it does not look like two could fit side by side and maintain a safe clearance between screw terminals -- which may well be why none exist.

If you are not deadset on twist-lock receptacles, you can obtain duplex or simplex 6-20R receptacles, in which case what you seek is possible, but at 20A rather than the 30A you specified.

DaveD

New User
Dave
If the current outlet is recessed in the wall you could buy an extension box (and put a blank cover on it) and then off the extension box mount two new surface mounted boxes, each with its own outlet/cover. If its already surface mounted you don't need the extension box.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If these L6-30 plugs are 30A twist locks then like Ethan, I doubt you can even fit two into a double-gang box.

If you could fit two, I doubt you could fit all of the 10 ga back into the box.

I think you would need a triple box - but where to get a suitable faceplate ?

At which point, you'll get a cleaner look with separate boxes.

-Mark, who has been meaning to do the same thing for more than a year now.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Looks like I will have to add a 2nd box. Oh well at least I am not alone in my quest for a dual 240V outlet.

Thanks for all the replies

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I'm guessing that it is a code violation to take a 30a circuit and configure the plugs and outlets to 20a style???

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm guessing that it is a code violation to take a 30a circuit and configure the plugs and outlets to 20a style???

Doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Here is what I had done out in the garage when it was my shop.

The right side is a 20amp(6-20R) for the DC and the right side is a 30amp (L6-30R) for the tablesaw. Both are mounted in a standard 4 gang box.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Correct. If you have a 30A breaker, you must use a 30A receptacle. The only exception to this is that you can use both 15A and 20A receptacles on a 20A circuit. You don't have to change the wire to convert the circuit to 20A, just swap out the breaker for a 20A one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS