Drum sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

New User
Tom
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site. I am wanting to purchase a drum sander. I am looking at the Woodmaster 26" model for about $2400, General single drum 24" for about $1400 and the General double drum 24" for about $2000. From what I have read I want to stay away from the opened ended models. Also, I don't believe I need a double drum so the General double drum is low on my list. Looking for recommendations on these models and others I should consider.
Thanks, Wilson

decibel

New User
Patrick
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you're looking for a serious machine. I don't have experience with anything but the jet open ended ones but somebody else can chime in for those specifics but it may help if you share what type of work you're looking to use the drum sander for.

Wilson

New User
Tom
I will use it to sand raised panel doors, panel glue ups that will fit in the sander, end grain cutting boards. The wood master is a little bigger and I like that it does not use clips to hold the paper to the drum but for a difference of about a thousand dollars I am leaning toward the single drum general model.
Wilson

M

McRabbet

I have a Woodmaster 26" drum sander that I bought used about 3 years ago for $750 -- I'd suggest you search for one on Craigs list before you plunk down the big bucks for a new one. Enter a string (without the quotes) like "drum sander NC site:craigslist.org" into a google search and you might just find one for sale on Craigs List here in NC!

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
I have both the Woodmaster 18" planer\moulder\sander and Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. I picked up the Grizzly because I got tired of changing the paper then running my work through a 2nd time on the woodmster, and have absolutely no regrets from the purchase. I run 100\150 grit then takes just few minutes to hand sand with 220. Saves a LOT of time and doesn't take up any more space than a single drum.

Also- I understand it's a bad idea to run an end-grain cutting board through a planer (correct me if I'm wrong, I have no experience with that myself). A drum sander could go a long way towards making up for that, especially a double drum. I would get one with a variable speed feed belt though- my Grizzly is fixed speed at 11 FPM (going to be changing that soon though), and I've noticed some woods like curly maple tend to scorch a little bit on some highly figured areas. With my Woodmaster I can get around this by taking a little less off and the feed belt running somewhat faster, but with the fixed speed of the Grizly I just have to do twice as many passes taking just a little off each time, and even then I still get a bit of scorching sometimes. I imagine this might be a real problem with end-grain sanding, so I'd consider variable speed a "must-have".

Wilson

New User
Tom
Thanks for the info. I will look on craigslist. I believe the general has variable speed on it's feed like the woodmaster. I read one review on a doubledrum sander and the person stated it was difficult to get both drums adjusted and he only used one of the drums. I also agree that you should not put end grain through a planer.
Wilson

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Not mine...
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tls/2308893670.html
Wood Master Drum Sander - $950 (139 wildwood place Clemmons, N.C. 27012)

Date: 2011-04-06, 12:54PM EDT
Reply to: sale-hgqqg-2308893670@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Wood Master Model 2640 Serial #1795 -24inch drum sander, drum is driven by 1 single phase 220 volt motor (2 HP?) Drive rolls driven by a single phase 110volt motor (HP?) Also includes 2 rolls of sand paper as shown -1 roll 80 grit 6inch by 50 yards 1 half roll 100 grit

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you're looking for a serious machine. I don't have experience with anything but the jet open ended ones but somebody else can chime in for those specifics but it may help if you share what type of work you're looking to use the drum sander for.

I've not heard that the quality open-sided machines are bad. Maybe you should share your experiences with your Jet ?

I own a 38" Woodmaster and it works ok. I am having some probs with the H&L paper tearing easily, but then the sandpaper is fairly old (backing delaminating ?) and I have some small bumps in the velcro on the drum.

Maybe I need to buy some fresh paper and reset the velco.

It's the only drum sander I've owned or used tho - and I bought it used.

-Mark

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
I am having some probs with the H&L paper tearing easily

I had the same problem with the paper that came with my Woodmaster- I shredded it pretty quick. I got rolls of 6" wide H&L from Klingspor's and have had MUCH better success with it. Not sure if it's because it's tougher paper than the Woodmaster or because there is a lot less edge on the paper to catch and tear. Or maybe I'm just more careful after shredding the first batch... Regardless, I've been quite happy with the rolls I picked up at Klingspor.

M

McRabbet

I want to add a comment concerning a few things said about Woodmaster drum sanders (per my earlier post, I have one too).
I am having some probs with the H&L paper tearing easily, but then the sandpaper is fairly old (backing delaminating ?) and I have some small bumps in the velcro on the drum.
I had the same problem with the paper that came with my Woodmaster
A common error that we tend to make with a drum sander is trying to take too much of a bite (also we do not read manuals very well, because the manufacturer gives us that warning! DAMHIKT). These are not thicknessing devices, they are designed as finishing tools. Too heavy a pass puts excess strain on the paper and the velcro behind it, even with the springs that allow the compression rollers some relief. Extra pressure tends to clog the paper and overheat the velcro. I also use Klingspor paper and I bought a replacement velcro drum wrapping from Woodmaster (less than $30) and used mine with light (1/4 turn on the height adjustment) very successfully from then on. It does a beautiful job and the Velcro looks like new and each strip of sandpaper last much longer withour clogs.

BTW, I use a Grizzly Pro-Stik abrasive cleaner (see here) to clean the sections of the drum that might get glue or sawdust clogs. It works well on my 9" x 48" disk/belt sander, too. Grizzly also makes sheets of this stuff that can be run through the drum sander like a board to clean the drum.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Timesaver Wide Belt Sander - $3000

Date: 2011-03-28, 4:05PM EDT
Reply to: sale-6qmyb-2291808558@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Timesaver Wide Belt Sander, Very Good Condition 50HP, Single Drum, 36" width power infeed. Located in Murphy,NC.
Call Bart @ 828.361.0202. Also Oliver Straitoplane 2170 , 40HP Top, 25HP Bottom. 5k.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3k73oc3ld5U45P05X5b4c224f5e9772a61390.jpg
3k13o73lf5V55T55S6b4c98d70212985c1ff2.jpg

PostingID: 2291808558
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/2291808558.html

WIde belt sander - $1500 (Hartford WI)

Date: 2011-03-17, 9:04PM CDT
Reply to: sale-2hbm5-2271605790@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Burlington wide belt sander. approximate 30x54 belt 7.5 h.p. three phase. 262-623-2356 Guy
Best offer need shop space!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3nf3m63o85V05Y15U1b3h7fb639f7f2d71c3f.jpg
3k83p63la5Z05T45X6b3h8952619ef75119f9.jpg
3nc3me3p25Y55Z65T4b3h4f0692a39f4517ab.jpg
3o33pf3l85T25W65R6b3haa9590cf62921971.jpg

PostingID: 2271605790

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/2271605790.html

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I want to add a comment concerning a few things said about Woodmaster drum sanders (per my earlier post, I have one too).

A common error that we tend to make with a drum sander is trying to take too much of a bite (also we do not read manuals very well, because the manufacturer gives us that warning! DAMHIKT). These are not thicknessing devices, they are designed as finishing tools. ..
<snip>
..used mine with light (1/4 turn on the height adjustment) very successfully from then on. It does a beautiful job and the Velcro looks like new and each strip of sandpaper last much longer withour clogs.

BTW, I use a Grizzly Pro-Stik abrasive cleaner (see here) to clean the sections of the drum that might get glue or sawdust clogs. It works well on my 9" x 48" disk/belt sander, too. Grizzly also makes sheets of this stuff that can be run through the drum sander like a board to clean the drum.
Nah..I use ~ 1/8th turn with mine and still get the tearing problem, especially when running relatively narrow strips of material. For example, a bunch of 2" wide strips I had stuck to a carrier board.

I use an abrasive cleaner stick pretty regularily. Theres a bit of pucker factor running a crepe block on that open, spinning drum :gar-La;

So it does sound like its time for new paper and new velcro.

-Mark

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Timesaver Wide Belt Sander - $3000

Date: 2011-03-28, 4:05PM EDT
Reply to: sale-6qmyb-2291808558@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Timesaver Wide Belt Sander, Very Good Condition 50HP, Single Drum, 36" width power infeed. Located in Murphy,NC.
Call Bart @ 828.361.0202. Also Oliver Straitoplane 2170 , 40HP Top, 25HP Bottom. 5k.

3k73oc3ld5U45P05X5b4c224f5e9772a61390.jpg
3k13o73lf5V55T55S6b4c98d70212985c1ff2.jpg

PostingID: 2291808558
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/2291808558.html

Can that be run on 110? :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS