Drum sanders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Well since I've started doing some veneer work I've decided I must have a new bandsaw and drum sander. Finding a used bandsaw will probably happen soon, I hope, but I'm less familiar with drum sanders. Just wondering what a fair used price on a sander in good shape would be. Also, what particular models should I be looking for? I'll be doing mainly veneers up to maybe 8-10" width max and perhaps a panel or two probably no more than 20" max. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

decibel

New User
Patrick
I'll take a stab at it.

Depending on what type of sander you're looking for I'm assuming not a big dual drum sander. So I'll go with the assumption you'd probably be acceptable to an open ended sander like the Jet/Performaxx, Girzzly, delta etc.

There have been a few on here recently for good prices and you can usually get one anywhere from 250 - 700 for a nice used one. Delta's seem to be the cheapest I've seen (and I've owned one). I currently have a jet and I'm happy with it as well. The most common sizes are the 12, 16, 18 and 22 open ended sander from what it sounds like if you're mainly doing veneers of those sizes then any would work. Depends on budget, shop space etc etc. I believe (don't quote me) the Jet can sand down thinner than the delta/grizzly but it's worth double checking.

You'll also need a dust collector as it will throw out a ton of dust.

Others should chime in as well as I feel like I"m rambling.. Perhaps that's enough to get you started though. :dontknow:

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Cool, got the DC already so I'm good there. So for my limited needs I could go as little as 12"? How would I sand a panel of say 20"? Sorry, but I've never seen one in action so I don't know how they work...Thanks!

decibel

New User
Patrick
the open end sanders allow you to sand one half and then flip the board and run the other half through. I've run tabletops this way and have had good results. I sprung for the 22" so I could go up to 44 inches so you'll usually see the sanders listed at like a 12/24 or 18/36 or 22/44 which is just a fancy way of saying flip it around and run it again.

When you run it both sides you can have a small crown on the line where you ran both sides that you can easily take out and usually you hit it with a random orbit sander afterwards anyway.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Cool, now I understand, Thanks! Sounds like 12-24 would easily suit my needs...now to find one....

pslamp32

New User
Peter
One more question, does a DC do a pretty good job catching most of the dust or am I gonna want to wheel this thing outside when I run it? Thanks!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I rode down to fayettville today to help another member with his gloat and the guy had a jet 10-20 open ended sander there. I think it was for sale but I dont have contact info or the price. send skymaster a PM. I am sure he has the info.

decibel

New User
Patrick
One more question, does a DC do a pretty good job catching most of the dust or am I gonna want to wheel this thing outside when I run it? Thanks!

Dust collector does a good job I don't have a cloud of dust or anything like that after I use it but if you forget to turn the dust collector on you'll know it :eusa_doh:

As far as the sizes the most common open ended sander sizes are the 10/20 16/32 22/44 and 18/36

there is a 12 but it's closed end so no flippy for you :)

Sully

New User
jay
In addition to a good DC you also need a good filter on the DC and a good air cleaner. Also would be good to use some type of breathing protection while using it.

A drum sander will throw a *LOT* of dust. It's the stuff you don't see that is particularly bad for you.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Fred: Should I post a gloat or just hide cause I may have paid too much? LOL LOL LOL
Yes I still have the contact info for the guy in Fayetteville.
Oh yeah Fred I aint gotz no pics so you gonna be a witness to make it official?
:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:rotflm:
Jack

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred: Should I post a gloat or just hide cause I may have paid too much? LOL LOL LOL
Yes I still have the contact info for the guy in Fayetteville.
Oh yeah Fred I aint gotz no pics so you gonna be a witness to make it official?
:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:rotflm:
Jack

I SEE NUTHING!:rotflm:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
PS: LOOK UP! The post above this Fayetteville CL this is the guy I just bought my stuff from, really I did, uh huh Fred lies :rotflm::rotflm:
Seriously tho Jeff is a nice guy, a paratrooper who is protecting our butts and just going thru a really bad time from a jump that went really really bad,
contact him

tandemsforus

John
User
Hey pslamp32
I got a delta 16/32 drum sander and live in the Fletcher area between Asheville and Hendersonville. If you want to give mine a test drive to see how it would work on a piece of venner let me know and you can give her a shot.
John Welty 242-5959

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS