Drum sander recommendations

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I am thinking about purchasing a drum sander. I am strictly a hobby woodworker who just likes to make sawdust, and maybe an occasional piece of furniture. I would like to stay below 2000.00. Does anyone have any advise on, open or closed, size, name brand or type of sandpaper( hook and loop or not)? Thanks in advance.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I paid $700 for my used Supermax 37" dual drum. They are out there - move quickly

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I just recently bought the Supermax 25-50 off a member here for $1000 and it's a great machine, and I think I got a great deal on it. Probably too big for my shop, but I made it fit :D It is heavy. 369 lbs according to the shipping weight.

Reputation-wise, Performax and Supermax are probably the best for open drum sanders, and I would give Supermax the edge. Performax was bought by Jet, and the Performax designers started Supermax. The machines are very similar, with the Supermax having a few more features (like a wixey digital depth gauge, optional upgrade). If I were buying new, I would still go with a Supermax.

The grizzly drum sanders are a real PITA to change the paper. Maybe they've changed in more recent models, but you'd have to tape the ends of the paper to the drum, instead of a clip.

If you're looking at the used market, I would avoid any Deltas or Ryobi's. From what I hear, the parts are hard if not impossible to come by if they break. If your budget is under $2k, then you can afford much better.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I recently sold my Grizzly dual drum and bought a Supermax 16/32.

Hands down, a great machine. Dust collection is superb.

If you get one, I recommend the infeed/outfeed tables and the casters. You'll be well below $2K.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I recently sold my Grizzly dual drum and bought a Supermax 16/32.

Hands down, a great machine. Dust collection is superb.

If you get one, I recommend the infeed/outfeed tables and the casters. You'll be well below $2K.

This is the exact setup I am looking at pulling the trigger on although a little Laguna birdie told me they will be on sale in October...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is the exact setup I am looking at pulling the trigger on although a little Laguna birdie told me they will be on sale in October...

Gift card burning a hole in your pocket?? Congrats!

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
You can't go wrong the supermax 16/32. I bought one new a few months ago and really love it. As mentioned, dust collection is excellent along with other features.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got the 16/32 supermax back in March. It was my first drum sander. Did research for over a year. Best value and features. Had a little issue a few days ago. 1 email and they said, “let me just send you a new part just in case”. So service has been excellent

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have the 22/44 Jet. It has proven to be an excellent addition to the shop. I don't use it on every project, but when I need to flatten a panel it is awesome. The only problem I have had (and it is my problem, not the tool's) is getting the paper nice and tight on the drum. Over time I have gotten much better, so as with most machines experience helps.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I had a fellow NCWWer over to help me unload mine into the shop and gave me some good advice on the rolls:
1 - Buy long rolls from klingspor and then cut them to length. Much cheaper than buying the precut rolls (though the seller included a bunch of rolls with the sander, so I haven't done this yet)
2 - When rolling the paper on the drum, leave a small gap in the spiral. This allows a channel for the dust to be cleared, and ensures you don't have any overlap that could put a groove in the work piece.
3 - Clip the first end of the roll, then roll it on the drum relatively tight and clip it to the end. THEN tighten the paper going the reverse direction, and reclip the first end. (hope that made sense?)

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS