Drum Sander needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Am in the market for a drum sander..........any recomendations...I have been lookin At the Perfm 16/32 :bconfused

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Dirk,

I owned one of the original Performax 16/32 and was extremely pleased with it. Only sold it after moving up to the 22/44, which I still own.

Assuming Jet hasn't made any significant design changes, I highly recommend it. Like any good woodworking tool, it will require time to get it set up and adjusted, especially if you run panels greater than 16" wide through it. Sandpaper is not cheap, but that would apply to any brand of drum sander. You will also need an adequate dust collection setup - the sander generates a lot of fine dust.

I find the drum sander to be one of the most time saving tools I have. Normally I only sand up through 120 grit. By then, the panel is flat and I can finish faster with a ROS.

If your budget allows, and you see yourself sanding a lot of panels wider than 16", I would consider the 22/44 or the Super Max 25.

Tim

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
(Since this is such a great deal, I also posted it in a new thread)

How about a new performance 22-44:

Taken from another forum.

http://www.hechinger.com//web/catalo...aspx?pid=71431

The model on sale is the 649004k. They also have the 649003k but it's not on sale and is listed for $1200 which doesn't seem to make sense. They're list for 649004k is normally $1030. Now why would the one without the stand be priced higher? I looked up both models on the performax site and there is no difference between the two except the stand which comes with the 649004k.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the Performax 22-44 Pro. Only thing I don't like about it is the floor space the wide frame takes up. I believe they have shrunk it down some now, so that eliminates that. Otherwise, I don't think you will regret it.

M

McRabbet

I bought a used Woodmaster 2675 (5 HP with a 26" drum) for $750 a little over a year ago and I've been very pleased with it. I was lucky to find it -- keep your eyes peeled and jump on the first one you see.

garymuto

New User
Gary
I looked for a used sander for almost a year, no luck. I asked around about Performax vs. Delta vs. Palmgren vs. Dayton since I wanted an open end sander for sure.
In the end I went with Performax. They seem to have neen atr it the longest, they have the widest capacity out there 22-44", and they have the "sandsmart" system that slows feed rate to avoid overloading the drum motor.
I got the Jet/performax 22-44" Plus at Rockler when they had the 10% off B4 thanksgiving. $900. I'd bet they would still honor the 10% off to make the sale. It was $100 more than the 16-32" and includes a beafier casting and 1 3/4 HP moter vs the 1 1/2 as compared to the 16-32"
Unfortunately, I have it set up, but no real experience with it yet.

BTW, the feedback I got from users highly recommended the infeed/outfeed tables. expect to pay $80-90 for those.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Last week, Cary Pawn had a Performax for about$600. I don't remember which model it was though. It was in new condition. As with all pawn shops, try to pay at least 20% less than listed price. Maybe, Monday, I can check and see what model it is.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bruce,
When you say try to pay 20% less, are you talking about 20% less than whatever the pawn broker is asking or that it would sell for new ? I've never bought from a pawnbroker.

Thanks,
Jimmy:)

Last week, Cary Pawn had a Performax for about$600. I don't remember which model it was though. It was in new condition. As with all pawn shops, try to pay at least 20% less than listed price. Maybe, Monday, I can check and see what model it is.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
20% less than what they are asking. If they balk at your offer, just walk away.

Thanks Pete,

Now I feel a little bit better when looking in those places, I always thought that the prices were high, so I never bought anything.

Jimmy:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
as often as not, they will try to stop you from walking out the door with some counter offer, but stick to your guns. There is a shop in Lumberton real close to where I used to work, they usually had exceedingly fair prices, but I would still walk out saving a significant sum off their 'asking' price.

DavidF

New User
David
I bought the 16/32 perfomax/Jet from Amazon when it was on offer recently. With shipping it came out to a little over $900. Still a lot of money for a tool, but I really like it and it does look very well made. Sandpaper is very easy to install. I have the 150G fitted and that seems a good all round grit.

garymuto

New User
Gary
I just had the opportunity to use my 22-44" over the weekend.
It's very quiet (direct drive)
It's very clean. There is barely any residue on the boards coming out of the sander.
It appears slow, when you watch it sand. Then I thought about how long it would take me to sand with a hand-held tool.... It's pretty fast by comparison.
I used the 80 grit that came with it and agree with what I've read that the sander produces results typical o fthe next grade finer grit. The 80 grit results were more like 100-120 grit.
I hit the boards with 120 using a ROS to take out the lines followed by 150 with a finishing sander.

Overall a very satisfying purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS