Drop down ceiling

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Shop is finished but for insulation and osb walls. Insulation man is coming this week to do the walls and ceiling. I'm not paying $25/sheet for osb so that's gonna have to wait until prices return to normal or close.

But I think I'd rather not install a drop and leave the ceiling open to the trusses. I just like the openness.

Any reason not to do this? I know I can expect a commensurate increase in heating and cooling costs but I can live with that.

bowman

Board of Directors, Events Director
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
You'll have less indirect lighting

Skymaster

Jack
Senior User
Way higher bills for heating and ac, much bigger lighting to get acceptable light at working level, louder space, plus if you drop ceiling you can make storage space. Otherwise if you leave open get a Big Ass fan to move air around will help on bills

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Had an open rafter shop for years up north, The biggest problem I had was When I heated in the winter, on and off, I didnt need to heat if full time the roofing nails would collect roof deck sweat and drop water!!

Raymond

Raymond
Corporate Member
You can always put up 6mil plastic sheeting as a false ceiling until such a time as you can put up what you want. The main advantage of this is controlling water drops from falling on your work surfaces and work pieces. It won't do a darn thing about heat or cold transmission.

Oka

Oka
Corporate Member
You could fill the spaces between the trusses with insulatuion, abd staple Building Wrap to cover it (Olifin plastic). Then no insulation is exposed, the ceiling is insulated, and the white building wrap will add light reflection, Just an Idea

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS