Drillpress + Trailer Jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My drillpress was made for production so there is no way to adjust the table height other than manhandling it. It's heavy and precision is not easy without 3 hands. I saw this idea mentioned over at Woodnet and adapted it to fit my needs.

The Trailer Jack is a Harbor Freight special with a vertical crank. Just happened to be on sale for $19.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41004

clear.gif
The wheel does not come attached to the jack and I flattened out the mounting ears for the wheel with a big hammer (BFH for you folks down at Ft. Bragg:lol:)

Easy mount with a deepwell socket and it pivots out of the way if I need to drop the table way down.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Hey, nice solution to a problem. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I wish I could gear the rack and pinion for my table adjustment so it would operate smoother.

Now you need to work on a pedal, rope, pulley arrangement so you can operate your quill feed by foot. :-D:-D I always thought that would be a nice feature.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Good idea. :icon_thum Thanks for sharing it. Maybe it will provide a solution for someone that had the same problem.

Paul

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Nifty idea. I have the same problem with my DP. Its an old Delta and like you the table is a little tough to man handle.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Great solution, hope it works like it was made that way. My hat is off to you!!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice idea. I have an old Rockwell DP without the benefit of rack & pinion to adjust the height. Yes, it is a pain.
By the way. What is the model of your DP???

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Looks kinda weird at first glance but it's a pretty cool concept. Looks like it was pretty easy to adapt (BFH), and must beat man handling the table to move it.

Chuck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mike,
My Drill Press is an older (~70's) Craftsman Industrial model 20" I got from an auction in Hickory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS