Drilling holes into tile?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Are masonry drill bits the right choice for drilling holes into tile? or are there specialty tile bits?
I will be mounting a grab bar in a bathtub area.

shawn

New User
shawn
You can buy carbide bits designed for tile at lowes or ace. They typically come in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. They don't require a hammer drill but use a low rpm sow you don't burn the bit.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
thanks, I picked a set up like Shawn showed, and they worked great.

Thanks for the generous offer Phil - I think these will be useful additions to my own tool set.

John - What are pled bits? "pled bits for porcelain tile"

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A caveat to doing this - If you are mounting a grab bar, you should secure it into a stud or some other solid backing. Ceramic tile and whatever backer board it may be adhered to can fail, and a bathtub grab bar is NOT a place you want a failure (think concussions, hemorrhages, skull fractures, Michael A DeMayo sending you a subpoena). Secure it well.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Gotcha Dennis - understood. Grab bar was installed securely!!!!

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Coring bit for porcelain the carbide pointed tip for ceramic or other ovened tile. Brick and or cement type types the regular masonary bits.

I use pretty much only the 1st 2. The diamond abrasive bits work will but do not hold up as well as they claim, but they are good as well

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS