Drilling Countersink in T-Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi all,
While working a universal tablesaw jig (that Joe - Bladeburner shared with us a couple weeks back) I found that one of my greatest challenges was drilling and countersinking the additional holes required to fasten the t-track to the base. I found these 82 degree countersink bits for #4, #6 and #8 screws on the Lee Valley site:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44708&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1

I just centered the track with chucked bit, put a drop of oil where the hole would be drilled, slowed the DP down to about 540RPM and cut away. These bits drilled the pilot and countersink easily through the aluminum track. (They are just HSS but seemed to cut well through all ~32 holes ok.)

Just thought that I would pass this along, as I found it hard finding the type of bit that would work for me.

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice tip Wayne! A solution that is much more elegant than my attempts :mrgreen: The more woodworking I do, the more I find myself working with metal :eusa_doh:

Roger

M

McRabbet

I've used a clearance drill for the screws and a second bit the same diameter as the flathead screw (after setting the drill press depth guage to keep the bit from going too deep) to do this in the past -- your solution is loads better.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS