Drill Press Table?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I mildly sprained my right wrist this weekend. This morning, I could not tension my drill press belts enough to turn a 35mm cup hinge bit. Thus, yet another extension:
image.jpeg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
in the process of making a table and fence for the drill press. looks like no one locally stocks set screw couplers so i'm going to have to order one in order to make my extension shaft.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
So here is what I ended up with (still finishing the drill press table) a coupler, about 8" of rod and it was able to extend out beyond the table and work. May have to add a support off the back of the table but right now it is working fine.
Drill Press1.jpg

Drill Press2.jpg

And I only had one dumb duh moment, when I realized I had ordered a 1/2" i.d. coupler and needed a 9/16" i.d. :rolleyes:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Well done! I need to pimp out my 2 drill presses as well. Your pictures helped me to plan out what I'll make.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A friend that I once knew had sash weights and cables run up over pulleyon each side of the head of his drill press and back down to his table. Their weight was almost equal to the table, so it was easy to raise and lower his drill press table. Just unlock, move, and re-lock it.

I have the crank on my drill press OEM table. I built my wood table to mount far enough forward that I can still crank it up and down. Not quite as easy now with the table in place, but I can do it.

If you have the square designed metal table with the front to back parallel slots, use large knobs to tighten the bolts to hold the wood table in place. Then you can reach under and loosen these knobs, then slide your wood table forward and then crank the table up or down. When at the desired level, push the wood table back into the desired position and tighten the knobs.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors