Drill Press Table?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Ok so last time I was drilling some holes in a larger piece of wood for scrolling I thought it would be nice to have a bigger table on the drill press so I am going to make a drill press table but I have a question. Looking online and places like Woodpeckers it appears once the table is mounted on the drill press it would make adjusting the height up and down of the table almost impossible. Is there something I'm missing or do I move my table up and down too much?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Most DIY tables I've seen are attached to the existing table. Depending on your size it would affect the raising and lowering. I've seen different options for either notching out the table for the table crank or extending the crank arm farther out.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I too move my DP table often - at least most times when I do use my DP. I too would like a larger table.

My guess is that the larger table interferes with the crank to raise and lower the table. If so, design a opening in the (larger) worktable surface that allows turning of the crank and still adds more work surface and hold downs. Of course that assumes you are making a table rather than purchasing a commercial add-on, though you could still modify a commercial one.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I have a Woodpeckers DP table on my drill press and there's no conflict with the crank for raising and lowering it. I suppose it depends upon the size of the drill press, though. How big is your drill press?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
It’s a bench top Delta, here is a picture of how the handle works
E84E4C65-BDA7-4835-ABFD-46A7163D1FA1.jpeg

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I have an add-on table that makes it impossible to change the elevation.
Wonder if anyone has removed the crank handle and adapted a rachet, extension, and what ever,
to make it useable?
Ed

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an add-on table that makes it impossible to change the elevation.
Wonder if anyone has removed the crank handle and adapted a rachet, extension, and what ever,
to make it useable?
Ed
It’s a bench top Delta, here is a picture of how the handle works View attachment 191975
It shouldn't be difficult to find a short piece of pipe of the proper diameter along with a piece of round stock that could be made into an extension for the pinion shaft.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Actually, I just got a Treadmill I demo'd and the track elevator motor is a screw motor. I am looking for a thread match to attach to my crank on my Drill press then All Ill have to do is push a button.

*** Anyone can spend a lot of money to do something, the creative ones figure how to do the same thing without the cost. *** ;)

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
*** Anyone can spend a lot of money to do something, the creative ones figure how to do the same thing without the cost. ***

This quote was too good to pass up, but it needed some adjustment in my case.

*** Anyone can spend a lot of money to do something, the creative ones figure how to do the same thing with TWICE the cost. ***

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I agree with Dennis. If you design the table correctly, you could even add a support bushing/bearing to the extension shaft for the crank if you feel it needs the support.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Ahhh yes it's the Buy High sell low ........ creative school of woodworking ......... We all have mastered that lesson

*** Anyone can spend a lot of money to do something, the creative ones figure how to do the same thing without the cost. ***

This quote was too good to pass up, but it needed some adjustment in my case.

*** Anyone can spend a lot of money to do something, the creative ones figure how to do the same thing with TWICE the cost. ***

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have an industrial DP and it's not made for easily changing the height of the table. There is no rack and pinion and the table is heavy. I bought a trailer jack at HF and installed it under the table. It's not the most precise thing but it beats manhandling the table. I had to bend the ears perpendicular to the jack.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
ok i think i have it figured out, just need to gather parts and pieces now. The handle is held on with a set screw, if i remove that i can use a coupler with a set screw on the existing portion, use a long rod on the other side of the coupler and then attach the handle to the end of the rod. the only possible issue i can see is the additional weight and awkwardness of the shaft. Might need to do something to support the shaft. but i need to measure my existing shaft diameter first
Drill Press.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Might need to do something to support the shaft. but i need to measure my existing shaft diameter first

That looks like what I was thinking. Make the table extend a little bit behind the column on that side and you can mount a support on the underside. That could be as simple as a saddle sort of thing made of maple.

DavidK

New User
David
@Tarhead Using a trailer jack is a great idea! I have a trailer jack with a broken wheel which is a perfect candidate for this. Thanks!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Once I get 'pastureized' I plan to use the hydraulic jack from my engine lift that I replaced with an air operated version to do the same thing.
As for the DP table, Woodsmith Tips just published a plan for a table that is raised from the stock one several inches by a box beam section.
Worth a try.......

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS