Drill Press Table Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
(I changed text size per request)

There was a thread last March asking for help in raising a drill press table with lots of good suggestions. I replied with my potential solution using a linear actuator that I had acquired. I said when I got it done I would post the results. The idea for this is not mine I saw it in a magazine a long time ago.

My drill press is a floor model Craftsman from the early 70’s that I purchased new. I added a large table top to it immediately after purchase. As I mentioned it has become really difficult to reach around the back, unlatch it and move the table. This last Monday I decided to implement the lift project. I finished up in two days and it was operational.

The specs on the actuator are it is 115V, 500LB lift capacity, 18” travel, cost me $70 on ebay 4 years ago. It had a built in set of limit micro switches for controlling the stroke travel. For some reason these actuators’ come without capacitors, so you need to get one matched to the unit from any electric supply house, mine cost $6.

To install the actuator I made a bracket for the base and a bracket on the table. I used what I had on hand in my scrap bin. I do a lot of metal working so my scrap bin has lots in it.

For the base I used 2” x 2” x ¼”angle Aluminum. I would have used only one bolt to hold it in place, however, there was a rib directly in the center of the base casting so I used two bolts. The hole to connect to the Actuator base and its height is dependent on what actuator you have. The design can be seen in the photo.

For the table I used 2 pieces of 2” x 2” x ¼” angle attached to the side of the table. I ran a piece of 1 ½ “ angle across the bottom of the table and attached to the support angle, see photos. In the center I made a stud from a bolt that matched the moving part of actuator see photos

I made sure that the distance out of the two mounts was the same so the actuator would be parallel to the drill press column.

Since I was not going to need to rotate the table my mounting system does not allow for much rotational ability for the table. By placing the mounting bolts in the position in the photos ie perpendicular to the column and leaving about .050 play when tightening the stud bolts I have about 4” of table rotational movement. I sketched up a lift bracket that would have allowed complete rotation of the table around the column, but was a lot of work and I did not need the capability.

I wired up the main box on the motor with the capacitor as can be seen in the photo. My up / down box is also shown with two push buttons – up and down. I had the boxes and switches as left overs from other projects, my guess is about $15. I included a schematic in a PDF file.

I did not build an interlock to keep me from pushing the lift buttons if the table was locked. I had a small micro switch I could have mounted so it touched the end of the bolt that locks the table. It would be open when the table was locked and closed when unlocked. If this becomes an issue I will install it.

I had more travel than needed. It is apparent I could have used a unit with 14” or 16” stroke rather than the 18”. If you do one just figure what travel you need. The bottom bracket could be modified to account for different units.

I adjusted the up limit switch to stop up travel about ½” from the chuck. In my case the drill press chuck is a 633C. The drill press spindle is a 33JT with locking threads. The 633C chuck has a 33 JT and a locking collar. This chuck allows you to use things like sanding drums and not have the chuck come off the taper because of side pressure. Craftsman sold other spindle attachments that had locking collars for using the drill press with lateral force on the spindle. One attachment allowed use of shaper cutters. This is why I adjusted the up so close to the chuck.

I just got it done so all I can say at this point is, given it only took two days, I should have done it 4 years ago when I got the actuator!

Bob

Attachments

• Intallation-Complete-Closeup.jpg
    Intallation-Complete-Closeup.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Installation-Complete.jpg
    Installation-Complete.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 147
  • Up-Down-Box.jpg
    Up-Down-Box.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Control-Box-and-Limit-Switches.jpg
    Control-Box-and-Limit-Switches.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Base-Bracket.jpg
    Base-Bracket.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Table-Bracket-2.jpg
    Table-Bracket-2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 156
  • Table-Bracket-1.jpg
    Table-Bracket-1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Drill Press Lift Schematic.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Bob, thanks for the post. If you don't mind, please don't reduce the font size of your post. It is really hard for these old eyes to read, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that problem. The standard font size works well for most of us.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Thanks for the input and I need some advice.

Here is what I am doing when I do a large post. For most of my projects I write them up in Microsoft Publisher. I pull in photos, write text, annotate, and pull any drawings like the schematic into the document. I do this for my own documentation and ref. If some later on asks about the project I turn it into a PDF file and ship it off.

I noticed the small text but with no other thing on the screen really did not pay that much attention. When I typed it into Publisher it was Calibri 12. When I copy it from the thread into the same file it comes in as Calibri 10. When I copy this text into the file it is Verdana 10, which is a larger font than Calibri.

Here is experiment:

This is Verdana 10, this is Verdana 12,
this is Calibri 10,
this is Calibri 12

The Calibri 12 should be larger than the Verdana 10 as you can see above. Why it converted the entire text to Calibri 10 is a mystery to me as it should have come in OK. Also the line above was a single line yet it came in as multiple lines.

I am going to go back and edit the entire post and see what happens.

Any ideas?

Bob

PS After I published this post it changed the fonts. Made the Calibri all the same and the Verdana all the same????

PPS I changed the text in my file to Verdana 10, it then came in OK except for some spacing issues I fixed.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
if copy pasting gives me problems I open up notepad and paste it in first then copy paste from notepad.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When editing or posting, you might want to select the option 'Go Advanced' at the lower right - it invokes the advance editor which has many more options for fonts and other features. It also seems to work more consistently in general. Or that may just have nothing at all to do with this. Just guessing. It does solve a lot of quirky problems though.

JohnW

New User
John
I remember this thread Bob. Thanks for taking the time to follow up. The older I get the more interested I get in "upgrades" like this.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This thread gives me an idea about an jack cylinder I happen to have lying around. I converted my engine hoist to an air driven cylinder and I have the old cylinder still. I could probably do the same thing. I think I have the same model drill press with the shoelace belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors