Drill Press problem

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have an older Delta 16 1/2 inch drill press. The spring that retains the up and down motion has broken. Tools direct indicates the part is obsolete and there is no replacement. e-replacement parts indicates it is on backorder with no time proposed. Any suggestions where to locate one?

Fortunately the unit still works but not completely functional.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Is this an Asian machine? If it is, you may find a part from another company, like Grizzly that may fit.

Roy G

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
How old is old?

Old Woodworking Machines classifies section has has pre-Asian delta parts for sale.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I found one on Amazon that looks like the right piece. It was only $20 so i will see if it works. I purchased the drill press because it was the one Norm Abrahams used on the Shows. I purchased it second hand and have no manuals etc. interestingly, i cannot find the model number on it.I think it is mid 1990s vintage

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Where did the spring break?

If just the very end broke off, you can heat only the very end of the spring to cherry red and then let it cool slowly in the air. This area will then be soft and workable. You can then bend and shape it to match the piece that broke off. I did this to an old Delta Home Craft drill press, and it worked fine for the next 10 years that I owned it. I think it may still be working for the new owner. You don't need the end shaped part of the spring to be hard, and it will last longer if it isn't. They don't do this when making the original springs. They heat treat the whole spring to give it the tension that it needs and that's why the end breaks off.

Charley

Reactions: Oka

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder if the spring out of an old lawn mower recoil starter could be adapted...........

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS