Drill Press Daisy Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Here's a jig that I haven't used for years but needed it today. Neat for making "carved" flowers, sunburst etc.
DP_Daisy_Jig_2_.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey that's cool Joe!
Gotta admit, it took me a few minutes to figure it out. :eusa_doh:
Looks great :icon_thum

Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great idea! Gotta keep that one in the bag of tricks! I can see how the forstner bit cuts the petals, but how do you hollow around the center? Just sand it down?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Original post had 2 pix. Here's the other one. Just set the quill stop and it will leave the center after all of the cuts.

DP_Daisy_Jig_1_.jpg

jglord

New User
John
Did I count correctly, are there 24 petals/ cuts arround the circle?

Is there an easy way to layout the correct number of index lines?:eusa_thin

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I probably drew a base line about a 1/4 the way up, then stuck a brad a 1/4 way to an edge & used a protractor to mark 15 deg points. Then a straight edge against the brad and drew a line through the marked points. This one is made for a Shopsmith; has miter runners and I clamp it in place, but any piece of ply that could be mounted to a DP table will work. Finally drill a hole for a stub dowel in the brad point or glue in a steel pin. To use, pick a corner and use it to reference from line to line. Use the opposite corner when the workpiece covers the next line.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought about an indexing jig similar to this using a saw blade with a positive stop. With the variety of tooth couts out there, you should be able to do 24, 40, or 60 divisions real easy. You'd mount the blade under the carrier and use a ratchet stop. If I ever get started on my 'dream shop', I'll try & send some pics. Cool idea, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS