Drill Press Base Removal

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It could have been assembled with a cryo fit by supercooling the column and pressing it in. If the base plate produces straw yellow sparks when ground then it's probably cast iron. If you scored a line about halfway through it on opposite sides and then around it where you wanted it cut off you could probably break it with a cold chisel and a hammer. Cast iron's strength and hardness are in its outer skin and the interior is much softer. Getting that indent onto the new top for the rack to ride in will be an issue.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Update:
The material is cast metal, so welding it is not an option for me. Evidently the base “the green part“ was heated and the “silver pipe was inserted”
I gained access to a large press and attempted to press the silver tube out, nope not working.
Going to abandon the current plan and price a new pipe and base. If that isn’t cost effective, I will put it back together without the adjustable table and fabricate a fixed table.
This is has turned into a pain in the neck.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Surprised the post is CI. I can understand the sleeve and base being CI.

Trying to remember what student project it was for which I was looking for a DP post and base. Oh well, I'm retired now.

Good luck with this.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Find a machine shop that can mill out the shortened shaft from the coller.

George

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Another Update:
Well I am done with dealing with this project. Trying to machine cheap cast iron monkey metal isnt my thing. I put it back together, left the adjustable metal table off, and I will make a stationary table and that will be the result. Man I never thought trying something I assumed would be a simple task turn into such a cluster. Reinforces my opinion, cheap tools aint good and good tools aint cheap.
Thanks to all the replies and suggestions.
I am going back to sawdust making and leaving the metal working to someone else.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS