Drill Press Base Removal

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Trying to remove the shaft that is inserted into the baseof my drill press. No lock screw, bots or any other fastner that I can see. It appears to be pressed into the base. I tried taping with a hammer and punch, no movement at all. Perhaps I am overlooking something. The picture is NOT my actual base but it looks just like this. Just to be clear, I am trying to remove the "shaft/pipe/pole" that is inserted to the base. Not the 4 bolts that bolts the coulumn onto the floor plate. Done that already. And yes I looked on the antique machinery forum.
Drill Base.jpg
Drill Base.jpg

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just from the picture, it appears to me that the green 'sleeve' and the collar are one piece and the chrome shaft/post slides into the 'sleeve' I could be wrong but then I'm only going by what I see in the picture.

George

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
You are correct, the chrome shaft/pole is about half way down into the green sleeve. Gotta be pressed in I think, but how to press it out?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You are correct, the chrome shaft/pole is about half way down into the green sleeve. Gotta be pressed in I think, but how to press it out?

Why don't you take a picture of your actual drill press base and column? The weight of the rest of the drill press on the column is sufficient and that's your press fit.

And yes I looked on the antique machinery forum.
The post hasn't been removed in years so it's probably just bound up. Spray PB Blaster around the column and let it soak into the base then try again. A large pipe wrench on the column might be necessary.

Curious, why do you have to remove the column?

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I can't tell you exactly what to do without seeing it in person and but based on the pics I recommend a large hydraulic press if you have access to one.
1. Turn the green sleeve (once you remove it from the green cast/slotted base) upside down.
2. Support the collar on the press
3. Insert a piece of round bar stock (slightly smaller diameter) into the the green sleeve
4. Soak with generous dose of penetrating oil
5. Press

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I am converting it to a bench top model, and when I shortened the shaft, it didnt leave enough room to lower the table. Because the "green collar" extends up the shaft restricting the travel of the table. Reason I didnt have a picture of mine, although the one dispalyed looks exactly like mine is, press at home, me at work.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I can't tell you exactly what to do without seeing it in person and but based on the pics I recommend a large hydraulic press if you have access to one.
1. Turn the green sleeve (once you remove it from the green cast/slotted base) upside down.
2. Support the collar on the press
3. Insert a piece of round bar stock (slightly smaller diameter) into the the green sleeve
4. Soak with generous dose of penetrating oil
5. Press

That was the plan, but there is a "collar" inside that the shaft sets on and I cannot gain access to the shaft from the bottom because of that. It has me stumped, and I understand without photos it is very difficult to advise me on removal, just thought maybe someone else has encountered the same thing and explian their process.
There was a very small lip that I could see extending slightly around the collar on the inside, but when I tapped on it, it broke off. sheesh!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Robert, have you tried putting some heat on the green sleeve? It would expand and maybe enough to break loose from the column so you could remove said column. And a penetrating oil applied liberally and allowed to stand for several days might help, too.

Roy G

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Maybe someone here would be willing to trade a benchtop drill press for a floor model unit?
Already cut the shaft off, besides it it a duracraft model, was a freebie from a family member, so chopping it down wasnt a hard decision.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
The plan is to cut the green sleeve down to about here then reinsert the shaft. That will provide the desired travel for the table.
InkedDrill Base_LI.jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
To restate your description- the shaft is in a blind hole so you can't press it out from the other end.
did I get that right?

the heat idea from Roy G is what I would try first

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
If nothing else works, can you cut the green shaft as is? If so it will be easier to pop out of the remainder and if you have to, cut the rest of it off.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Assuming the inner (silver) portion is hollow, another approach might be to not remove the inner portion at all but, rather, locate another tube that fits inside and use it to splice the two sections together from the inside thereby preserving the OD fit to the table. From what you describe, strength is not a huge concern so epoxy could be used to create a secure joint.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thinking out loud...

Weld a collar to the post, inside the green sleeve if the welder can reach it. Weld outside if you can't weld in internally. Press on the collar. Cut the collar off, then grind the post smooth.

Or, buy a Schedule 80 or thicker wall pipe that is the same OD as the existing post. Machine the heavy wall OD to fit in the existing post to extend the post if it is already too short.

A lot of work. Buying a bench top used or new seems to be more cost effective. Since the post is already cut, mount a grinder to what is left.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS