Drill Bit Sharpening

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, I know someone will chime in that they sharpen them by hand. But that's not a skill I have, and based upon experience never will. I own both a Drill Doctor (model 750, not 750X) and a General / Craftsman that uses side of the wheel to do sharpenijng. The DD produces great looking bits that don't work, as the relief angle is wrong. The heel is higher than cutting edge. The General / Craftsman does a great job on larger bits, it's just slow. I came across a couple of you tube videos of shop made sharpeners that look like they would work. One is simply a V groove cut at 59 degrees in a piece of plywood. Bit is placed in grove and slid back and forth across grinding wheel. Other (A Drill Sharpening Jig You Can Rely On) uses a disk sander and a super simple jig. It grinds both cutting edge and relief in one motion. As usual with me, I'm working on ideas to improve it. Once I get the kinks worked out, I will post results. In the mean time, look at the videos on you tube

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Bruce, Just my thoughts and opinions....I also have a drill doctor (don't recall which model). Mine does work! ...or at least the last time I used it my bits came out sharp and did indeed cut like new! I'd be willing to compare them functionally side by side to see if something is wrong with yours or maybe the wheel is worn out or something like that?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Honestly, I sharpen by hand, with a grinder and diamond or hone stone, always have. The only time I think a drill doctor would be useful to me is using them for small bits, but they are cheap so I have alot of stock small bits. Watch a couple of the metal machinist videos that are out there. They show the basics. It is a feel/visual kinda thing. After you get the fell it is pretty easy. Guys to google Old Tony, Ave, Joe pieweski and Abom79 those some of the better videos makers. Any of those will get more linked videos related.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I am an ex machinist, we always sharpened by hand however, i own the DD. Sounds like your setup, take manual and go back to zero. very very specific way to insert the drill bits, sounds like you have them in backwards

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had to sharpen a 1/4 inch bit last night. Since you don't want to hear it I won't say how I did it.

But 20 seconds and back to work. That's a fact.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
That's mainly why I haven't used my DD in so long! I do mine by hand! Learned from my father when I was about 12 years old. Been sharpening them since that way. I got the DD for free and tried it to see if it really worked or not. It really worked! But as Jack stated, if you don't get the bit setup right in the holder, it doesn't work!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I am an ex machinist, we always sharpened by hand however, i own the DD. Sounds like your setup, take manual and go back to zero. very very specific way to insert the drill bits, sounds like you have them in backwards
Exactly how could they be put in backwards? (ROFL!) Only one end has a cutting edge. I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid. Unfortunately, I was absent on the day that my father should have taught me how to sharpen drill bits, nor did I work in a machine shop. So only being a mere mortal, I need to use some sort of aid to sharpen my bits. I bet there are others here who also need help, that's why I posted the video references.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're sharpening a metal working tip on twist drills, try a Darex M-5 if you can find one. If I get a new drill bit, before I put into service, I'll take it over to the M-5 and sharpen it. It never ceases to amaze me how dull new twist drills can be.

There's a nice drill press booklet on VM.org that shows some twist drill metal working tip sharpening. Chapter five. Chapter three talks about wood boring bits in case that's something you may do from time to time. Published in 1947 and nothing much on tip geometry has changed either for metal boring bits or wood boring bits.
Delta Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - Getting the Most Out of Your Drill Press - Book 4530 | VintageMachinery.org

1 darex - 1 (1).jpg

Darex M-5

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Exactly how could they be put in backwards? (ROFL!) Only one end has a cutting edge. I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid. Unfortunately, I was absent on the day that my father should have taught me how to sharpen drill bits, nor did I work in a machine shop. So only being a mere mortal, I need to use some sort of aid to sharpen my bits. I bet there are others here who also need help, that's why I posted the video references.
Bruce, we know that you know enough to put the drill bit into the holder the right direction! What we meant is, the bit has to be clocked correctly in the holder since the DD motion isn't simply a rotational motion! It's a rotation and then a bit of a swing to grind the clearance on the back of the flute. If you get the swing in the wrong place, you take the cutting edge right off the bit. At that point, all it will do is attempt to rub a hole into your work!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce, we know that you know enough to put the drill bit into the holder the right direction! What we meant is, the bit has to be clocked correctly in the holder since the DD motion isn't simply a rotational motion! It's a rotation and then a bit of a swing to grind the clearance on the back of the flute. If you get the swing in the wrong place, you take the cutting edge right off the bit. At that point, all it will do is attempt to rub a hole into your work!
I have watched both VCR that came with machine, and DD's online videos more than once. I have found out, and DD doesn't mention it, that I MUST HOLD UP the rear of chuck up, not just push it in, when orienting the bit in the jaws. If you look online, very few are happy with the original 500/750 DD's. The newer 500X / 750X seem to have eliminated some of their problems, mainly, poor tolerances and fit. Bob if I could afford a Darex, I could buy ten lifetimes supply of bits with the same money. I've been to a couple of machine shop auctions, and if there was a Darex present, it went for as much as new, and sometimes more.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

bruce ok backwards might be wrong verbiage however there is a very specific way to insert drill bits into the machine. It sounds like you may not be getting bits in correctly. It is a bit of a pia but once you get used to it the machine does quite well and it even will do split tips and reduce the webbing

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
bruce ok backwards might be wrong verbiage however there is a very specific way to insert drill bits into the machine. It sounds like you may not be getting bits in correctly. It is a bit of a pia but once you get used to it the machine does quite well and it even will do split tips and reduce the webbing
A friend owns a DD (750 same as mine.) Having used his DD, is why I bought one originally. I have owned this DD for over ten years, if you couldn't tell, by my watching the VCR tape that came with the machine But back to the original post. There a couple of simple jigs to aid in the sharpening of twist drills.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS