Drill bit set

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
It's getting close to Christmas time, and I've been thinking of some things to ask for. I need a new drill bit set. Can someone recommend a good set? If possible, I'd like to stay less than $40. But may be able to persuade the LOML, otherwise if it's a good set. ( These bits would be used for wood )

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
One thing that I can tell you is NOT to get drills with a 118 degree tip angle if you are only using them for wood. These drills work okay for wood but are really made for metal. Look for 132 degree, or better yet brad points.

Good Luck.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Get the 12 bit brad point set from Lee Valley. The make smooth, no tear-out holes, and are HSS. Sharpest bits I have ever used. You won't be sorry.

Glennbear

Glenn
A while back Jeremy (Woodwrangler) picked up a big brad point set at Woodcraft, I followed his lead and got a set myself and have been very pleased. :wsmile:

148082.jpg

JJD

New User
John
I was just at Woodcraft yesterday and saw this same set on sale, I think. The price was maybe $29.95???? Don't remember for sure, but sounds like something I will go back and purchase.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
For general drilling, including things like pilot holes or other non-critical woodworking applications, I use HF drill bits. They are cheap and reasonably accurate. They tend to tear the top surface, however, so I would not use them for holes that will show.

For holes that will show you need brad point bits or forstner bits. Fine Woodworking did a review of brad points fairly recent. I think they thought highly of the Lee Valley bits but my memory is not real dependable.

For forstner bits, I also use Harbor Freight. If find them to be good enough.

If you want smaller bits for holes that are critical, I suggest you try and find the Fine Woodworking article.

Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I second DaveO's motion. I picked up a similar set (Allied brand) at a Cummins tool show, and have found I use it quite often. Having the full range of fractional and lettered bits allows you to adjust hole sizes for hard, soft, or wet pretreated wood (predrilling), getting optimal fit for store-bought dowels, etc. They also hold up well in metal, providing you use lubricant and the correct speed/feed.

I cannot comment on the Woodcraft bradpoint bit set, having never seen or used it, but my experience with inexpensive bradpoint bits (Craftsman) is that they do not last long in harder woods like oak or walnut. I have slowly replaced all my bradpoints with Freud forstners. I have to pull them out to clear chips more often, but at least they stay sharp.

Go

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glenn or anyone else, do you know if WC still carries this set and what the PN is? I looked at their Website and I could not find it.

A while back Jeremy (Woodwrangler) picked up a big brad point set at Woodcraft, I followed his lead and got a set myself and have been very pleased. :wsmile:

148082.jpg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you need forstener bits, look at the Columbian set from Woodcraft. Buy an inexpensive set, then keep a note card handy. Each time you use a bit, write down the size used. After you use any size five or more times, go and buy a "quality" bit in that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS