Drawer stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I'm ready to make some utility drawers for the shop, and I want the box to be 1/2" thick, more or less (that is, 7/16-9/16 works too). I'm shying away from plywood, and surely don't want to plane down stock. Yes, I can resaw 4/4 and get close enough, but I'd rather purchase material that's already milled/prepared. For practice, I want to dovetail them, some with the jig and some by hand.

Suggestions in the Raleigh area?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Baltic birch plywood would do you pretty well compared to regular plywood. It has a lot of plies, is consistent in thickness, and can be dovetailed.

Another option you might consider is looking at some of the moldings and door jamb stuff they sell at the Borg.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I noticed that Capitol City Lumber on Beryl Road (close to the fairgrounds) stocks something like what you are looking for:
Here is a line from their website:
Hardwoods

Poplar (02) Item#11972 $.80 lft 1/2 x 4 7/16 (Drawer Slides) (S4S)

I have never looked for this particular product, or seen it there, but you could call and ask before you trek out there.

Henry W

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I was just looking at the Eastern wake hardwoods website and noticed that they have 5/8 stock in red oak, walnut and cherry. The red oak is $2.02/bf minus the 10% discount isn't a bad price.

Make sure to call Roger at East Wake before you go to check availability. I've gotten some red oak thin stock (5/8) and it was all quartersawn. I dimensioned to 7/16 and used it for drawer stock. It's also great for flat panel glue ups. I should have gotten more. The last few times I've been there it was slim pickings (didn't call ahead...duh).

Chuck

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I mean no disparagement to any business. However, facts is facts.

I made the trek to Capitol City Lumber. I had been before, and was not looking forward to the return trip. Not due to the length of trip, or location, or anything like that. If you've ever been, you may have had a similar experience. Although they indeed had said poplar, it took over a half hour to be discovered (after shop held denied existence) and once found, it was obvious why it was still there. At 80 cents per LF for 4-1/2" wide by 1/2" thick stock, unless I missed something thats a little less than $ 4.75/bf for poplar that was so rough and twisted it would mill out at 1/4" thick. So, I have learned a valuable lesson. I do not need to make any more treks to that destination. Just FYI, 4/4 Cherry in nothing close to FAS was $9.60 a bf... retail.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I'm ready to make some utility drawers for the shop, and I want the box to be 1/2" thick, more or less (that is, 7/16-9/16 works too). I'm shying away from plywood, and surely don't want to plane down stock. Yes, I can resaw 4/4 and get close enough, but I'd rather purchase material that's already milled/prepared. For practice, I want to dovetail them, some with the jig and some by hand.

Suggestions in the Raleigh area?

When I worked with the millwork company we ran drawer side material from poplar most of the time. We also used oak, birch, maple, sassafras, and even red gum.

Whatever the specie-------It was run from 4/4 stock kiln dried. Thus the higher price because it was cost of material plus cost of milling. I would suggest using a lower grade than FAS and cut between the knots.

Jerry:)

J

jeff...

Jerry, I struggle with my drawers (not getting them on either :slap:) but what your saying makes perfect since from an economy perspective "plan down some FAS kiln dried 4/4".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors