Dovtail Jigs What's a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.

univland

New User
John
Hey all -

I'm about to pony up and buy a dovetail jig that I need. Found a cheap ones on Harbor Freight - $30.00-50.00. I am tempted just to buy the Porter Cable model at Lowes for $120.00, but would love some input from anybody that has any...........Thanks........ John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have been quite happy with my Rockler jig, it comes with the bit, and set up is a little easier than the HF because the guides are one piece. IIRC, it was about 59.95?? There are also a few different 'combs' available for it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What kind of DTs are you wanting to do? Many jigs will only do half blind, others will do both but without variable spacing, and finally there are the ones that will do it all. I have a Leigh D1600 that does easy thru DTs with variable spacing (and HB one piece at a time), and a older PC jig that will only do HB DTs but cuts both pieces at once and is a lot faster for drawer production.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I picked up the PC4212 for about $109 back in the spring from Amazon.com. It will do thru DT's, half blind, box and sliding DT's. It took me awhile to get the setup adjusted (router bit depths, template positioning etc.) but once done it does a pretty good job. You can't really do any variable spacing of the pin and tails with it - not like the Leigh jig.

I would not pay $120 for the 4210 at Lowes! Just be patient and watch Amazon!

Just my $.02,

Wayne

toolman

Administrator
Chad
John, see the post below for info on the subject. The Jig that Lowes sells only does Half Blind Dovetails (Model 4210). You will need model 4212 that has half blind and through dovetail templates.

Mike

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5990

Before joining this web site I got a 4210 from lowes and it work very well on Half Blind DT.. It worked for me at the time but 4212 has more templates.. I would NOT get the 4210 the guys here have a lot of info the will help lead you the right way...:wave:

univland

New User
John
Thank you everybody for your input, experience, and advice. Haven't made a final decision yet, because I had to put my dog down this week, and can't focus on much else.Will get back to this later....John

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
John
I am truly sorry to hear about your dog. I have no idea what I will do when it comes time for my old pal of 12 years to go.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My deepest sympathies, John. There's a good reason they call dogs Man's Best Friend. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Dave:)

tonyps

New User
Tony
I use the Leigh D400, does half blind and through,,,,,Boy, took me a number of attempts to get the through dovetails worked out, but once I cleaned by bi-focals and re-read the manual on that part (hint, hint), things snapped right together...Last set of drawers I made did not even need glue...but, I do like glue. so.....:eusa_doh:
Soon as I get the camera up and going I will post some pics...
Best to all!!
Tony ...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You asked about the HF jig. I reviewed that one here. Look at the link to a user manual; makes all the difference in the world in understanding how to use one. If I had to pay more than $[strike]30 [/strike] $60 for one like it, I'd get the PC (see Canuck)
Joe
PS I've seen the HF on sale for $29.95 a couple of times since I got mine.

cskipper

Cathy
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Ours have been with us longer than their expected longevity and I'm grateful for every day with them. I'm sure you will miss yours a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS