Dovetails on a table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Got my Ridge Carbide 7 degree, 1:6, blade Friday. Had some time today and got the tails cut on a 1x8 piece of BORG poplar. Not as easy as the videos. Guessing they did this a time or two before putting the video together. Will say there was nothing to cleanup with a chisel.

Traced out the pins with a knife. Will try to cut them tomorrow and provide pics.

You can get 10% off with the code SNWJ10. Defiantly a 'beefy' blade.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
So is this blade ground so you get a cut like a dovetail? You tilt the blade to the right angle and it gives a smooth cut? I have seen dovetails cut on the TS but usually there is some chisel work afterward.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have watched John Ferguson cut table saw dovetails 2 times. There was no cleanup necessary except with the TS blade. He used an ordinary TS blade, but I can see where a 7 degree top bevel on the tooth would give a more precise fit. John is a sample maker and instructor of furniture making at the Caldwell County Community College. And as for community colleges, Catawba Valley Community College now has a furniture making academy. I believe they set it up in a former cabinet shop in Newton, right down the road from the Hickory campus.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
So is this blade ground so you get a cut like a dovetail? You tilt the blade to the right angle and it gives a smooth cut? I have seen dovetails cut on the TS but usually there is some chisel work afterward.

Roy G

Zero cleanup on the tails. Probably should have switched back to a rip blade for the pins since the blade is moved back to 90 degrees for them. Very minor cleanup on the pins.

I didn't get the blade and or fence synced at 7 degrees. One or both were off. The joint came out tight but with gaps.

I cut a piece of lexan at 7 degrees so I can set the blade and fence at the same angle. The digital bevel gauge may be lying but with the lexan jig, they will be the same.

Still can't get my iPhone to upload photos to my PC so I can upload them to the board. Working on it.

Last edited:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Is your Ridge blade left tilt or right tilt for your particular table saw? Is the blade ground to 7 degrees and you have to tilt the blade to match that 7 degrees?

https://ridgecarbidetool.com/saw-blades/ridge-super-blades/dovetail-saw-blades.html

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/12/05/tablesaw-blade-for-dovetails

Mine is a left tilt saw. The blade was ground left tilt at 7 degrees. I feel pretty good the blade was at 7 degrees. I may have bumped the bevel gauge a little setting the fence for the pins. Hopefully, the lexan cut at 7 degrees won't move like the blade on the bevel gauge. The lexan may not be at exactly 7 degrees but I can use that to set the blade and fence without worrying about the blade on the bevel gauge moving.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A Wixey digital angle gauge is pretty cheap and it's magnetic. Maybe more accurate than a bevel gauge too.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
A Wixey digital angle gauge is pretty cheap and it's magnetic. Maybe more accurate than a bevel gauge too.

Actually, I set the blade with a Wixey. I probably should have set the bevel gauge from the blade.

Here are the pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.