Dovetails on a table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing!

I reserve judgment on the method in general, but the end of that video is kinda funny...."Alright, that's a nice looking joint!" that guy says as he fits up a joint with proud tails and gappy pins. The camera cuts to the joint for 0.05 seconds, and SCENE.

I honestly was surprised how well it joined off the saw, but it seems like a tight final fitting might rely on the same finesse with hand tools that a hand-cut dovetail relies on. The layout and associated mental labor remains the same, and the setup is 3x what's required for manual dovetails.

The saw lines were crispy, though! Post pics if you give it a shot.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Works even better if you have the blade custom ground to the dt angle. Leave nice corners/practically no clean up.

On a large project, I do the tails this way and the pins by hand.

With some "variable" spacing, they will look hand cut even tho they're only 1/2 done by hand.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dovetail complete.JPG
    dovetail complete.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 160

tdukes

New User
Eddie
works even better if you have the blade custom ground to the dt angle. Leave nice corners/practically no clean up.

On a large project, i do the tails this way and the pins by hand.

With some "variable" spacing, they will look hand cut even tho they're only 1/2 done by hand.

attachment.php

nice!!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
DrBob
I am the other way around. Pins first. Half machine second part/fitting with hand saw.

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_091.JPG

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_006.JPG

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The video of Frank Klausz reminded me of the time Tage Frid came to my woodworking class at the University of Wisconsin. He demonstrated hand cutting dovetails to the class. He assembled the joint while the pin board was still in the vise. Then he looked around at the walls of the shop. Skip Johnson, my professor, asked him what he was looking for and he replied, "A dovetail hammer." None of us had ever heard of a dovetail hammer before. Then Mr. Frid walked over to the pegboard tool rack and grabbed a claw hammer. He beat on the end of one of the pins and then with a big grin, he held up the hammer and said, "Dovetail hammer." He had mashed one of the pins in his joint to close up the gaps.

I think the tablesaw method is good. I have a friend who cuts dovetails for small boxes at the bandsaw using a 1/8 in. wide blade and a jig he designed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors