Dovetail workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Any plans for an upcoming dovetail workshop ?

Chris

Don't know about workshop schedule for 2018 yet. It would be good if you mentioned what your background/experience with hand tools might be? You can look back at some of the photos of a workshop held at Phil Soper's shop and get an idea of what we did in a group setting twice last year.

I have a small shop so large groups just don't work well in my shop.

carriage_doors_locking_009.JPG

I have been doing a whole lot of teaching with one student and some days with 2 students. Just last week taught cabinet making with hand tools and power tools.

1-JC_7dc_011.JPG

This is the basic Jelly Cabinet when done. It includes dovetails, mortise and Tenon, cutting moldings, and beading edges.
left_side_front.jpg

Dovetailing?

mahogany_box_nov_2015_002.JPG

mahogany_box_nov_2015_001.JPG

DSC079911.JPG

Small stuff

DSC000941.JPG

Compound angle joinery

tool_box_pine_027.JPG

My favorite tool for dt

top_2_.JPG

Prospect_door_0251.jpg

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_002.JPG

Look in the gallery under danmart77. Lots of different dovetail joinery.

Dan

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am always willing to open my shop for a class. Dan and I have done dovetail classes before - neither of us has forgotten how.

If we can find eight students for a class in Jan or Feb ..... and yes I am lucky enough to have heat in the shop

ck1999

Chris
User
I know a little about hand tools. Not much. I have watched videos on dovetails. However, when trying to cut them they don't look good. I don't have anything in mind to make. I was going to go a few years back when they had the workshop for tool carrier. But they were doing more complicated dovetails and since I didn't know how to do regular ones I didn't attend.

Phil, if one comes available I would like to be put on the list.

Chris

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Sure wished you didn't live clear over on the edge of the world Phil! I've been told that if you keep going east from your place, you fall off the edge. Never tried it, so I can't verify that, it sure sounds feasible!:wwink:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
However, when trying to cut them they don't look good.

If you know the basics then you're off to a good start. I taught myself by watching, reading and practice. Lots of practice. I went to Lowe's and bought 1x4 pine, cut short pieces and dovetailed.... over and over and over. You'll get better faster than you may think.

I went from this...20140216_132529.jpg

To this in a few weeks....
20180105_221926.jpg

The tool chest was my first woodworking project.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I haven't tried making a single dovetail but may try them one of these days. I did buy a 7 chisel set (Narex) after they were recommended by several members here and they were easy to tune up, very nice to use, and ready to go now.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67707

I'm neither a dovetail naysayer nor a fan of them because there are lots of ways to join pieces of wood with strong joints besides dovetails! Yes, they are a woodworking classic but they've just never excited me and fine woodworking isn't diminished if dovetails aren't in your repertoire.

No offense, just my take on the topic. Chris's pic above does look darn nice too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS