Dovetail/Router Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
I'm obviously doing something wrong. When using my PC 890 VS router in my new Leigh D4R dovetail jig (hidden gloat, there), the dovetail bit loosens and significantly increases the depth of the tail slot. The router is running at the slowest speed to try and prevent tearout, and I've torqued down the collet as much as possible, but out of the 50 or so dovetails I've cut, I would estimate that only about half are acceptable.

I'm using the bits that came with the jig and they require an insert for the 1/2 inch collet. I suspect that either the insert is not gripping the bit with sufficient force or the bit is not seated far enough into the collet. In order to cut dovetails in 3/4 in stock, the bit must extend pretty far below the router base.

So two questions: 1.) Any ideas how to correct the problem with the shifting bits? and 2.) Any ideas how I can repair this? Or should I cut another piece? (I apologize for the poor picture. Looks like I also need to work on my photography skills.)

Attachments

• BadDovetails.jpg
    BadDovetails.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 208

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man that sucks, a self adjusting collet on a PC not a Craftsman:BangHead:

For the repair you could clean up the areas where it cut too deep with a chisel and glue a small sliver of wood to fill the depth back in. But probably starting with a new piece would be the best solution.

For the bit and collet problem, I have not had that problem using my DW router and 3/4" stock, and that is a typical stock size to be using, so the bit extention shouldn't be the problem. You might make sure that the inside of the PC collet is clean and free of debris, and that the Leigh adaptor and bit shaft are clean also. If the router is old the collet could be worn, or you could have got a mis-machined adaptor or bit.

I hope you figure it out, the Leigh jig is a sweet set up, and fairly easy to master with a few practice runs.

Dave:)

R

rickc

What about cutting a couple of tails of the same material, gluing them in, and recutting? Don't know how that would work, but it is a possiblity. Other than that, I would agree with Dave's suggestion.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ouch. That's not good. Not sure I have any good ideas about fixing that, other than maybe turning the piece inside-out IF it will still fit in the pin board with that orientation. Of course, since the DT bit is extended farther down, the width of the adjacent tail will be a little bit wider, too - affecting your fit with the pins.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I'll throw out a couple of thoughts on this....

I use a Bosch 1617 with mine. I'm sure you're doing this, but I'll point out that I always start with the motor about as far down as I can in the base - probably between 1/8" to 1/4" between the collet and the base. Then I try to "eyeball" the depth of cut with the bit as close as I can, before tightening the collet. Then it only takes a small adjustment to fine-tune the depth of cut, and you maximize the grip of the collet.

Also, look at the number printed on the side of the bit... if it ends in "-8" then it is an 8-mm shank, not 1/4"... might not fit in a standard 1/4" collet reducer. If you're trying to use a 1/4" collet reducer that may actually be the problem... just a thought.

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. From the threads, I will take back:
1. Cut a new piece of wood.
2. Make sure the collet insert is clean and free of debris.
3. Pay a bit more attention to the depth that I set the router bit
4. Even though the router is only a few months old, get a new 1/2 " collet.

Thanks, again

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
one other thing to add, when you insert the bit into the collet, make sure the bit is not bottomed out in the router. the tapered collets need a tiny amount of room to move down as they tighten, if the bit is already bottomed out it can cause the collet to not tighten quite as much as it should, causing the bit to come loose. also, do you need an adaptor because of the 8mm shank? if they are 1/4" PC makes collets for them.

phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS