Dovetail pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Marco,

For just your 4th or 5th set, they are looooooooooooooooooooooking Good my friend. Don't see any gaps which is always a good sign that you have done a good job of cutting and paring the waste. Keep it up and let us see some more.

Mike

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Ahhh Shoot, Marco!

And I just spent $106.00 on a DT jig and am still learning how to cut DT's that tight!

You should be commended!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Great Work!! (Be sure to tell everyone that they were hand-cut, with a DT SAW!!!!!)

Wayne

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
you know what, I think I need to keep this camera, cause it makes me look WAY better than I actually am!!!:lol:

It's amazing how having bad picture taking skills can actually improve your woodworking skills :rolf:

Trust me guys, I still have a long way to go, but I definitely love the encouragement!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You are further than me. I have yet to even try to hand cut some dovetails. Picture may be bad, but overall it fits and shims and dust can fill the gaps.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well those look way better than my jig cut DTs, so you don't have much to aspire to. I saw Frank Klausz cut DTs and guess what they weren't perfect, but they were hand cut. It's a functional joint, functional but not perfect, that is what makes it hand made. To quote a song by the band Blues Traveller..."we can command the straightest of line but can't control the pen"

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hear, Hear Marco!
They look greaaat :eusa_danc

What handsaw are you using? I was snooping through a FWW mag while loml shopped for groceries and saw a review on handsaws for dovetails. Learned what differentiates a "gents" saw. They cited one of Crowns' cheapies ($14-18?) as best overall. Of course, they liked the Adria that cost about five times that too!

Sapwood

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I really could use a better saw. This was the $10 special on gents saws at woodcraft. It is decently sharp, but has way too much set in the teeth and I didn't want to get into modifying that...that's above my pay grade! Any suggestions on a decent saw that's not going to break my budget?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Vanilla Gorilla said:
Any suggestions on a decent saw that's not going to break my budget?

I got a Japanese pull saw from Woodcraft on sale for $30, it is one sweet saw, very thin kerf, sharp and easy to start and cut straight. I never done DTs with it yet, but other cutting has gone great.
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Vanilla Gorilla said:
This is my 4th or 5th attempt at hand cutting dovetails, but definitely the first that I thought were ok enough to take pics of! :lol:

There are still some gaps, but I am definitely seeing improvement. I really love handcut dovetails, and truly admire those that can cut really nice ones :eusa_clap

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3120
You're doing great. Nothing wrong with those dovetails. :icon_thum I have the adria saw and love it now that I removed a little of the set. I can start it on a flat push stroke now. Really helps your accuracy and efficiency when you can do that.

Thanks,

John

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
thanks for all the support! It really means a lot to me to get this kind of encouragement. Now if I could only stop slicing myself up with the chisels, we'd be in business!:BangHead:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Spent this evening resharpening my "Dovetail" saw to rip cut from crosscut, (gotta get a second saw!!) and last Sat getting all the chisels sharp, so I am just on the verge of getting into the dovetail thing (got a project in the design stage needing drawers). Next step is layout and practice cuts.

Thanks for giving novices like me hope and motivation.:mrgreen:

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS