Dovetail Joiners Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I was recently challenged on Instagram to build a mallet using nothing but hand tools. I've always enjoyed the use of hand tools in my work, but figured this was a good way to push my skills and get me outside of my comfort zone. I could have done a pretty standard mallet design, but I decided to take it a step further and design something even more challenging (for myself at least). I met Chris Black up in Rolesville and picked up a panel saw to break down my rough lumber as well as got some tips and tricks for sharpening card scrapers (which was a crucial part of this build). The handle is walnut and the head is red oak, it is finished with Walrus Oil and wax. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out especially since this was my first time doing many of the techniques. First through mortise, sliding dovetail, and use of a spokeshave for shaping. Better yet, I now have a joiners mallet and can quit using my plastic headed hammer. I have a ton more pictures of the build process, but just chose a few to put here. I've dubbed this mallet the "Dovetail Joiners Mallet".

IMG_20180818_184203.jpg

IMG_20180818_183619.jpg

IMG_20180818_213721.jpg

IMG_20180821_221926.jpg

IMG_20180823_215538.jpg

IMG_20180826_113354.jpg

IMG_20180826_113411.jpg

IMG_20180826_113443.jpg

IMG_20180826_114510.jpg

-Bromley​

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW!
GREAT job ignoring the fact that this was a "skill push" for you (looking at the results you would never know it)!

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Very nice-looking indeed! The tenon in the middle with the dovetail on the side is a fun bit of "how'd he do that".

I have the same Estwing mallet and though I have a real joiner's mallet, it's hard to beat the Estwing for medium to heavy chopping IMO.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. Looks like you really beat down that challenge!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Go

bash

New User
bash
Beautiful design and execution. Novice question: Why the different wood dovetailed on one face of the mallet?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Really nice job and a great design.

On that other mallet he may be better served with a rock.... Is it made out of a pine 2x4?

Last edited:

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Thank you all very much for the kind words!

Great job and excellent photography Thanks

I'm glad you like the pictures, I did my best to capture the natural beauty. All the pictures are taken with my phone.

A beautiful piece, Bromley. I'd cry the first time I dented it.

I might shed a tear for sure. I'm going to stick to using the end grain face first and hope it holds up better. I'd love to just hang it on the wall but I know it needs to be used.

Do you need my mailing address to send me that? :)

Haha I've had multiple people wanting it. Even someone that wants me to build a copy for them. I'd definitely do the second one with some power tools.

Beautiful design and execution. Novice question: Why the different wood dovetailed on one face of the mallet?

Not a novice question at all. Really no purpose other than aesthetics and the joinery challenge for myself. The oak end grain will be much more durable for hammering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors