Dovetail jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I would like some feed back on dovetail jigs.
I see allot of nice work in here, and I am looking for preferences, ease of use, durability.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Leigh...D4 if you're well off or the D1600 for us poorer folks. Easy to use, adjustable pin spacing, and with the D4, you can do cool inlayed DTs and other stuff. Plus there is the Isoloc templates...if you're really well off, that can make DT like joints like no other.
My $.02, Dave:)

rhett

New User
rhett
the latest issue of fine woodworking has review of about 6 jigs. Leigh did get high honors.

T

toolferone

Good dovetail saw, marking guage, sharp chisels, marking knife, mallet, (really big mallet if they don't fit), stout work bench with vise and do them by hand.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think the last issue of Fine Woodworking listed the Porter Cable 4212 as the Best Value. Does a number of different types of joints and is easy to learn / use.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the Leigh D4 24". It is one flexible beast, but it can be time consuming to set up. The pins and tails are cut seperately, not at the same time. Personally, I would classify it as the best of the best.

Additionally, I have the PC 4212, but haven't tried it yet. I plan to use it with the dresser I am building. It does do both the pins and tails simultaneously for half blind dovetails.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Table saw, combo blade, band saw with 1/8" blade and some scraps. Only drawback is that dovetails will have to be symetrical around centerline. Once set up, you can cut them as fast as you can feed wood through either of the saws.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I like my Keller 1500 dovetail jig. A very basic and simple jig. Variable spacing is a bit of a pain but it can be done.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the Porter Cable 4212. Have had my issues with setup, but once I have gotten through this, it has been a pretty good jig. I got it on Amazon.com for about $119. I particularly like the ability to cut half blind DT's, cutting both pns an tails at the same time. The biggest issue with the setup I had was getting the router bit depth set correctly. (The folks here on this forum were a tremendous help to me in "mastering" the setup.)

I agree that the Leigh jigs or Woodrat are really cool in their ability to vary spacing and size of the pins and tails. - A little too pricey for me right now though!

Wayne

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
got to be the leigh.......they have very good tech support....putting the thing together is a little time consuming, but after that its a breeze...i bought the 24" and their fmt mortise and tenon set at the same time.....excellent value

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Another vote for the Leigh, I have the D4. As everyone always says - the best manual I've ever seen, and setup is relatively straightforward if not quick. Perfect DT's every time. Pricey - yes....try to find one secondhand, they're out there. I'm glad I never settled, I've heard stories of people who were eventually disappointed in what they bought and they wound up footing addt'l. $$ for the Leigh in the end. JM2CW.... ;-)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Good dovetail saw, marking guage, sharp chisels, marking knife, mallet, (really big mallet if they don't fit), stout work bench with vise and do them by hand.

Amen brother!!

I've got three different jigs including the Leigh and haven't used any of them in months.

mac martin

New User
mac
I would probably First, answer the question - How often, how many, how wide, and how fast you are going to need those dovetails.

I have used two Sears brand, and the Leigh, and cut my own manually.

For production work, down and dirty, fast- go with the Leigh (longer initial setup time - high start cost)

For occasional cutting - the Sears ( I have both the old 20" and the newer 12") - fairly quick setup time - moderate start up cost.

BUT, for the best old triditional looking "craftsman" 'tails - I will hand cut mine- both self satisfying , and a good joint says something about the craftsman. It will also make you appreciate the labor our ancestors spent on a fine piece of furniture.
(Oh, I almost for got, hand ones can be adjusted "on-yhe-fly", something the templates have a harder time doing)

Hope there "ramblings" give you something to think about.
Mac:oops:

bonewood

New User
Alan
Another vote for the Leigh, I have the D4. As everyone always says - the best manual I've ever seen, and setup is relatively straightforward if not quick. Perfect DT's every time. Pricey - yes....try to find one secondhand, they're out there. I'm glad I never settled, I've heard stories of people who were eventually disappointed in what they bought and they wound up footing addt'l. $$ for the Leigh in the end. JM2CW.... ;-)

Is that the Yankee D4 or a new Southren one:slap::lol:

R

rickc

I like my Keller 1500 dovetail jig. A very basic and simple jig. Variable spacing is a bit of a pain but it can be done.

I also have the Keller 1500 and like it. Didn't take too long to set up, and is really nice if you don't care about variable spacing. Reasonably priced - you can check it out at the Keller site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS