dovetail bit recommendation wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
It's time I admit it ... I don't own a dovetail bit. There, I feel much better now that my dark secret is out.

I want to cut some sockets (ways?) in a carcass for receiving drawer dividers but have no idea what bit would work for this. I'll be using 3/4" - 7/8" stock for the dividers. So what's the consensus? 7 deg., 14 deg? 1/2" wide cutter dia.? What about cutter length? Is that critical for this application?

Todd

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Todd,

For the application you describe, either angle will work, provided you cut the matching angle on both pieces. You are essentially making a sliding dovetail and you do not need to make the "female" cut in a single pass. It will actually be better to cut a narrower dado first and then use the dovetail bit to cut the angled profile on each side. Any of the standard bits out there are capable of doing what you want.

If you were buying the bit to use with a particular jig then it would be much more critical to match the specification of the bit to that of the jig.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
IMHO - The specific bit doesn't make a great difference. The trick is getting a setup (jig) to make the male and female parts fit right. Plowing the slot is easy. Sneaking up on the "tenon" size is a bit more tricky. Plan on lots of set up time and test pieces till you get a system that works for you.

pete

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally I like bits with 2 flutes (have had a single flute before), carbide tipped, and with an extra long shank. That way if you do get a jig, you have a good shot at the bit working.

FWIW, if you can do 8MM bits, I would recommend it. When DaveO came to visit and brought his jig and bits I saw that the 8MM shank was enough thicker than a 1/4 inch shank that it has made me consider upgrading.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Travis unless you need the DT bit to work with the Leigh jig. Which is doesn't sound like Todd does, then go for a full 1/2 shank. The thicker the shank the less chatter and possible tear out you'll have. I don't know why Leigh uses a 8mm shanked bit, and you can only find bits with a long enough shank to work with their jig in 1/4" or 8mm. All I can guess is those sizes are the only ones that will work with the guide bushing dia. and their jig template. :eusa_thin
Dave:)

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
So, maybe a 14 degree, 1/2"shank, 1/2" cutter diameter, 1/2" cutter length. Sounds like the makings of a 1/2 assed project.:lol: I don't think I need to get the full 3/4" cutter diameter. Just use the 1/2" and move the bit from one side of the socket to the other (using the jig I have yet to make) to get the right width. Thanks for the input. I'll pick one up this week and give it a try.

Todd

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
Thanks for the heads up kota62. What are the chances that I get out of Woodcraft for only $5 + tax?

Todd

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Todd,

The guys at Woodcraft (Raleigh) told me that they receive their new Woodcraft bit shipments on Tuesday's. So.....if you can get their this afternoon or tomorrow morning you should have plenty to choose from! (I went in a couple of weeks ago and blew $50.00 on bits!:BangHead: ) This is really a good deal!

Went back last week for another bit (one) and ended up buying their brass router template bushing set. Another great deal.:slap:

Lot's of luck just droppin' $5.00!

Have Fun,

Wayne

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
The chances are zero. At that price you should buy at least two of those bits. At least thats what my mind would try to justify.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
JohnsonMBrandon said:
The chances are zero. At that price you should buy at least two of those bits. At least thats what my mind would try to justify.

:lol: ...........How true, I bought four of them last weekend. Not a bad deal.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, you could sign up for the Woodcraft credit card and save $10. :eusa_thin

Of course, then you have to add in the router bits (yeah, I bought some), brass router template (yep), extra downspiral bit (yep, broke the first one), Jasper circle jig (yep), and I know if I go back this week I'll get the Porter Cable router on sale :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Oh well, at least Tom showed me some pixs of his darling daughter :mrgreen:

Sapwood

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
wapitiscat said:
Thanks for the heads up kota62. What are the chances that I get out of Woodcraft for only $5 + tax?

Todd
100 percent! Only take $5.30 with you, no credit cards, checks or that old "tuck back" twenty that you have behind your driver's licensee for when you REALLY need something.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
lol,,,silly boy get out with only 5 bucks and a bit,,i have avoided that place like the plague,,,my wife would kick me out with all the tools i bought, I would have to stay at NCpetes for like a year or something,,or atleast in his shop.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS