Dovetail/alignment jig-See update below

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Anyone know how to use these 2 dovetail jigs/fixtures?
I remember watching YouTube a couple of months ago and seeing these jigs used as alignment for cutting dovetails but for the life of me, I can't find the YouTube or figure out how they might be used. I do remember being impressed and running out to the shop and building the jigs. Now that I have 6 drawers to dovetail, I would like to use them. Please advise if you know the YouTube or how they are to be used.
David Turner

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 301

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I believe the second piece is used to align the edges of the drawer face with the drawer sides(s) for marking out the pins or tails. I saw a YouTube where a guy had a try square clamped to the bottom of the drawer face so as to align the two pieces while marking.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@David Turner That makes sense, but it seems oversized. I have a nagging feeling that I may have seen the same video that inspired you to make these, but my searches have come up empty as well

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Barron's is OK but it doesn't align the out-side edges like the one I built.

Ok, I'm entirely new to dovetails and how to do them. The terminology is also new to me so it'd be helpful if you would explain exactly what you mean. How about a picture of your alignment jig that aligns both edges.

Last edited:

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
George: You are correct. I miss-spoke. I should have said ends of the drawer face and drawer side. Barron's alignment guide does in fact align the edges very well.

Jeff: I can provide pictures of the use of the jig but it will be a while before I am ready to cut the dovetails.

David Turner

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff: I can provide pictures of the use of the jig but it will be a while before I am ready to cut the dovetails.

For right now can you just send pictures of the jig? Thanks.

If you like your jig then why did you ask about the missing videos in your first post in this thread? I'm missing something here.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Jeff: Did you not look at the first entry of this thread? There are 2 pictures of 2 jigs I built sometime ago and forgot how to use them. Yes you are missing something.

David

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff: Did you not look at the first entry of this thread? There are 2 pictures of 2 jigs I built sometime ago and forgot how to use them. Yes you are missing something.

David

Yes, I looked at the first entry of this thread and all of the other ones. You didn't say that you'd forgotten how to use them. No problem.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Update:
Picture #1 is just a reminder of what the jigs look like.
Picture #2 shows setting the pin board height above the dovetail bench surface.
Picture #3 shows the same jig supporting the tail board and keeping it level for marking.
Picture #4 shows the jig aligned with the bottom of the pins.
Picture #5 shows the jig in place and ready to mark out the pins.
Works great
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS