Douglas Fir source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limey

New User
Geoff
I live in Western NC and am about to have an Arts and Crafts influenced house built. I wil be doing the trim and am looking for a local source for straight grain Douglas Fir. Any leads? Thank you in advance.

limey

New User
Geoff
Thank you - I contacted them and got sticker shock! Par for the course U suspect given that it is more common on the west coast.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Growing up in Oregon, we called that stuff "firewood". I still find it hard to believe people like to build out of it. :)

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I live in Western NC and am about to have an Arts and Crafts influenced house built. I wil be doing the trim and am looking for a local source for straight grain Douglas Fir. Any leads? Thank you in advance.

Out west Douglas Fir has been using for framing for a long time. But even there is it pricy and the quality of the timber is not what it used to be. As a builder I have never been a big fan of the species, even when it was more plentiful and less expensive. It splinters easily and if used for trim is not all that attractive when stained. It has a very prominent grain too.

You could substitute poplar for any painted woodwork and a local native hardwood such as red oak for stained trim. Both should prove to be easier to work with and less expensive than fir.

Pete

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
I used some DF exposed timbers and T&G decking in my house a few years back. We found several sources, but my recollection was that the best price was from New River Building Supply near Boone.

I used local red oak for the trim in my place (with a cherry stain, I thought it had enough contrast to complement the DF nicely), but the DF with an oil finish looked great for the timbers and decking.

I got on a email list for a supplier on the west coast, and yeah, it breaks my heart to see how cheap that stuff is out there compared to how much you have to pay after shipping here. I'll second the thought about using something local for trim--for the price of DF, you can get some interesting stuff if you have the time and are willing to work with a sawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors