Douglas Fir Decking

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Take a look at the wood Tommy is using in this This Old House video. It's straight-grain, Douglas Fir decking. It's not tongue and groove. He got it from Home Depot in Massachusetts, I believe. Do we have access to that material here? All that I can find is treated and tongue and groove.

Shoe Rack

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The Hardwood Store can get it in 4/4 and 8/4. They say "call for pricing".

It's straight-grain, Douglas Fir decking

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Where would you use this?
Is this DF decking used outdoors - I am uncertain of the decay resistance properties of DF? Or is this indoor sub-floor 'decking'?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
#1 straight grain Doug Fir will hold up ok. But, most of us who lived in the forests where is grows (my parents did) would use Redwood over Doug fir 90% of time. It holds up way better and does not get as slick. If termites might be a consideration, then must be treated DF wood, termites like the wood.
TBH Ipe or Balau are better decking, probably close to the same cost, or maybe go the composite decking way. Some of the composites are excellent and less maintenance. Not a proponent just thinking out loud.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I would not use Doug fir for decking. It does not hold up outside all that well. Old growth does, but should we be cutting that down for our decks? It's also pretty soft, I wouldn't want to use it as a floor. It also doesn't.take treatment well, which is why treated for has those little dots pressed into it. It also grows on the opposite coast and that carries a large carbon footprint for transport.

cypress can be had from a local ish harvest, is not much softer than fir and lasts way better outdoors. The ultimate deck would probably be locust, but you'd have to get it from the mountains and it would probably be $$$.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Note that I was just trying to understand the interest in DF decking. I am not considering using it either indoors or outdoors.
Info is great though.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Note that I was just trying to understand the interest in DF decking. I am not considering using it either indoors or outdoors.
Info is great though.

Haha sorry. I may be cynical, but I'd just assume that they were paid by the manufacturer. Pbs don't get the funding it used to.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whatever you use, be prepared for sticker shock. Hurricanes and fires out west have tripled the cost of some lumber products.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
.... It's straight-grain, Douglas Fir decking. It's not tongue and groove. ... Do we have access to that material here? All that I can find is treated and tongue and groove.
I'm not quite certain that what I saw fits what you are seekig Mike, but in my brief walk through Capitol City Lumber today I saw stacks DF in 1x4, 6, 8, 10 and I think 1x12 in various lengths (up to 14 or 16 feet). It may or may not be straight grained - however you define that; I did not pull anything from the stacks to check. If you are interested I'd call them for pricing and then check it out (if still interested).

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not quite certain that what I saw fits what you are seekig Mike, but in my brief walk through Capitol City Lumber today I saw stacks DF in 1x4, 6, 8, 10 and I think 1x12 in various lengths (up to 14 or 16 feet). It may or may not be straight grained - however you define that; I did not pull anything from the stacks to check. If you are interested I'd call them for pricing and then check it out (if still interested).
Thanks, Henry. I'll try to get by and take a look. I don't think I've ever been there. From what I hear, their prices are very high unless you have a commercial account. I don't know if that's true.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Go into the main building where the Sales desk is, and ask them where the DF is. It is up high, on the right of the first enclosed wood storage building. It won't be too easy to sort through the stacks if you are looking for a particular grain pattern, but you certainly can; I doubt that there is too much clearly 'quarter sawn' material (which you should be able to see from the ends of the boards, which is all that you can see of any individual board while on the stack). Hours are 7;30-4:30 on weekdays and 9-2 on Sat I think ; closed Sun.
Call ahead if price is a concern, they'll quote you over the phone I believe.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
i'm curious Mike. Douglas Fir often has straight vertical grain. I doubt that Tom Silva got quarter sawn DF at Home Depot in Massachusetts. What are you thinking about using it for?

Flat sawn DF at the Hardwood Store is $4.95/bf. They can get custom ordered straight grain but would have to get a price.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS