Double Stick Tape

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
What's your favorite double stick tape for holding a template when using a router edge trimming bit to clean up edges

Rick

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member

Intertape 591, cost way more than I think it should, but works well. I was using carpet tape, then DS duct tape. Got tired of fiddling around to get the liner off so tried this stuff even though it’s expensive. The Intertape has a paper liner so it’s easy to both rip to length and remove liner. Just make sure both surfaces are clean.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Is the intertape 591 reuseable - IOW can you apply the template, route, remove template and reuse tape on a second work piece

Rick

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I use carpet tape when a template is used. Whatever is available from Lowes when I need more.

I use vacuum grips to hold the work piece down while routing or working the edges, also when carving sometimes. The Rockler Vacuum Chucks are what I mostly use, but I have made some DIY vacuum chucks, using closed cell foam Weatherstrip on a solid base of cabinet birch ply or HDPE (repurposed cutting board). The vacuum pump came from Harbor Freight, and I added a filter to keep saw dust out of the pump. It takes a pretty hard hit to break the vacuum grip. I usually just shut the pump off when the work on the piece is finished. A few seconds later the vacuum is gone and the piece is free.

Charley

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I haven't needed it since I saw the masking tape trick. Masking tape on each surface; spread a thin bead of CA on one and spray activator on the other. put the two surfaces together.

mpeele

michael
User
+2 on the stuff from Klingspor. Works good for my application and is a great value. I use it with my Shaper Orgin, positioning cabinet drawer fronts and attaching templets for routing and my table saw.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Intertape 591, cost way more than I think it should, but works well. I was using carpet tape, then DS duct tape. Got tired of fiddling around to get the liner off so tried this stuff even though it’s expensive. The Intertape has a paper liner so it’s easy to both rip to length and remove liner. Just make sure both surfaces are clean.

This and the other confirming posts inspired me to get a roll of the 591. I'm sold. I had a petty finishing use for it so I tried a roll and it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I'll look further. I've tried the carpet tape and found it lacking.

I've got Fastcap Fastedge Speedtape but that stuff is way too tenacious. That tape is advertised as permanent. I believe them.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 591.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I happened to be in Klingspor yesterday so I picked up a roll of their tape to give a try

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS