Double Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Last weekend LOML and I went down to Fayetteville and picked up a Jet 18-inch, 3 hp band saw (JWBS-18QT-3) and a Powermatic 18-inc drill press (PM2800). First and foremost, thanks to everyone who provided some great advice on moving the band saw, especially the heads up on the triangular spine. You all saved me a LOT of grief.

As promised, now that the tools are back together I have pics.

Most folks recommended transporting the band saw on its spine, so I made a cradle system to keep it upright for the four-hour ride. I've made a lot of crates and cradles, but I always had the object to be shipped or stored on hand. I had never even seen one of these saws, except in pictures.

I made two channels out of twobys and attached two perpendicular feet to each. I then pre-assembled the uprights and angle supports, but those were not attached until we were on site and the saw was resting in the channels.

Here's a shot of the cradle after we got unloaded.
Cradle21.jpg

Here we are all loaded and ready to roll. I had hooks on each upright and used rubber tie downs to tie them to each other so both would support the saw no matter which way it started to lean. I brought extra lumber for shimming as well. It never budged an inch the whole trip.
Loaded1.jpg

Here we are unloaded at the house. Thank God for mobile bases and walk-in basements. I made the cradle in two parts so we could work around the switch box.
Unloading_Jet2.jpg

So here's the saw and the requisite sawdust.
Jet_Bandsaw1.jpg
Jet_Resaw.jpg

And here's the band saw and the requisite chips.
PM_DP.jpg
DP_Sawdust.jpg

Now, I just have to get the shop done so I have somewhere to work with these monsters.

Thanks for looking, and thanks again for all the great advice.

Charles

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Congratulations Charles! Great job transporting them. Enjoy these fine tools.

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS